Thread: When Not To Weld It

Default When Not To Weld It

Sadly I think its time to get a new wheel barrow. I was just getting ready to mix some concrete for a floor patch after moving a drain when I saw it. There's a hole in my wheel barrow. No big deal I thought. I'll just hit it with a flap disc to get some clean metal and weld it up. That's when I saw the dirt and scale and remnants of old concrete were covering a couple more holes and covering lots of pits that can't possibly be that deep and not be holes. I did a quick pass along the shallow valley in the front and quickly discovered more. I started thinking about cutting it all out, shaping a piece of sheet to fit and welding that in... then I looked at the never flat foam filled tire I put on it when I bought it. It wasn't flat, but its a miracle it hasn't thrown a tread. LOL. Of course the handles are so dried out they have valleys in them.

I bought that wheel barrow back in '93 or '94 (along with a couple others that seemed to have vanished over the years) for mixing concrete to set satellite mounting poles. In '95 we were the second largest Primestar (anybody remember Primestar?) installer in the southwest. If I was in the field personally we were installing as many as 10 systems a day. A few days when everything went right we got 12 systems installed in a day. That wheel barrow saw a lot of work over the years. I guess its time to replace it.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Yes you need a smooth tub otherwise the shovel will catch.

The one here had wood rails rotted so I rebuilt it with OA brazed joints 15 years ago
    using rails from old garage door openers and some water pipe for handles.
    Still going with no holes in the tub.
    https://app.box.com/s/21bt33e8zw6fup1grvgjjbb27sq6i7td

yep time for a new one.
    so go grab one and then start drawing up plans for the old one to be a body for a lawnmower engine powered digger dragster or something cool like that

It amuses me to see your reference to wood as part of the structure of a wheelbarrow. When I go to the 'states I like to go round an hardware store to see the differences to a UK one. So much is the same, well a brick is a brick anywhere, and you also have BSP threaded pipe fittings. The biggest contrast is wheelbarrows. In the UK there can't have been a wheelbarrow with wood framing on sale since 1950 except as a quaint old time ornament.
    To divert off topic Costco is interesting for comparison. I have one half a mile away so know it well. In both Melbourne and Atlanta shops they have not only the same products but the same layout. The only difference product we could find in Atlanta was that tomato ketchup came in huge huge bottles. You guys must bathe in it.

It amused me yesterday when I found the more expensive wheel barrow with steel handles had a plastic tub.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2go View Post
    using rails from old garage door openers and some water pipe for handles.
    Hunh. The wooden handles are just about rotted off mine, but the tub is perfect. The local hardware stores sell pre-made handles for things I don't even recognize, but not for wheelbarrows.

Steel it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    It amuses me to see your reference to wood as part of the structure of a wheelbarrow. When I go to the 'states I like to go round an hardware store to see the differences to a UK one. So much is the same, well a brick is a brick anywhere, and you also have BSP threaded pipe fittings. The biggest contrast is wheelbarrows. In the UK there can't have been a wheelbarrow with wood framing on sale since 1950 except as a quaint old time ornament.
    To divert off topic Costco is interesting for comparison. I have one half a mile away so know it well. In both Melbourne and Atlanta shops they have not only the same products but the same layout. The only difference product we could find in Atlanta was that tomato ketchup came in huge huge bottles. You guys must bathe in it.
    We use NPT for almost everything here in the US, NOT BSP

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Hunh. The wooden handles are just about rotted off mine, but the tub is perfect. The local hardware stores sell pre-made handles for things I don't even recognize, but not for wheelbarrows.

Steel it is...
    You could try white oak which is fairly low cost in the stores.
    Maybe double up two of the "2 * 3/4" sizes per side.
    I have used white oak outdoors here in Michigan for about 15 years and it is durable.
    Easy to saw and drill, difficult to plane and inclined to jam woodscrews and nails.
    So I prefer clearance holes and thru bolting for white oak.

ps finish with shellac and boiled linseed.