Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jet 1024 lathe... revisited

Default Jet 1024 lathe... revisited

Hello to all. New member here. Hope to learn much and share a little on this forum. Got booed off the Practical Machinists site by posting an Asian lathe question. Here's hoping a more friendly crowd resides within.

I have had a small Asian lathe for a good 10+ years. Bought it mail order back then for around $300 as I recall. A mess when I got it but time spent realigning it all paid off. It has done some very intricate work for me and still does. Let me just add that I am not a machinist by training or any other way for that matter. That was my grandfather who worked for Pratt & Whitney Tool (no relation to the engine company... but same Connecticut location) as a tool and die maker.

Wish I could have met him but he died before I was born. Maybe some of his ability did pass on because I do love to work in my shop when time allows.

Anyway... I was on the prowl for a larger lathe but not so large as to make things unwieldy. Looked at a few South Bend 9's but they were a wreck and way over priced IMHO. I believe the term given by the guys over on PM was "boat anchor".

Did end up purchasing what looks to be a decently maintained Jet 1024 from an estate sale yesterday. Got it home today but not mounted up as yet.

I see there were some posters for this lathe in years past and I wonder if any of you still own them. Would be great to find some owners to commiserate with.

I'm interested in knowing about this VFC (variable frequency controller) mod people are adding. I would much rather go this route than revert back to the three-pulley system the prior owner had rigged up. Has anyone gotten this to work on the Jet 1024 ?? and if you can supply pics of where and how you mounted the motor, I'd appreciate it.

It seems to me I can use this rear pedestal originally for the pulley and cut the top portion off leaving the right angle base to support the motor, raised up of course.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading my post
    Last edited by chesterspal; 08-15-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Welcome to the forums! We'll talk to you!
    Looks like about 1/2 of that one is missing. You will be very limited without a carriage or tailstock.
    There are plenty of people on here that have smaller size machines that can give advice.

Welcome aboard. And you'll find that you will be well accommodated around these parts.

While many here have Big Iron there's also many that have "big iron", medium iron and even small iron. And a pretty fair mix of Asian and North American and European machines. So your new medium size Asian iron will fit right in.....

If you want variable speed there's two ways to get there from what you have now. One would be to find and strip down a strong DC motor and associated drive electronics from a treadmill. The other that involves the VFD is to find a small 1 to 1.5HP 3 phase motor to run from the VFD.

I would not be overly quick to try to remove the 3 pulley setup. While a speed control provides you with variable speed it doesn't give you more torque. And a big part of being able to gear down the drive connection between the motor and headstock spindle is related to gaining torque. Something you lose in the motor if you slow it down too much. Particularly with the DC treadmill motor option. So the three pulley setup will come in rather handy as a first choice to set the torque range and center range of the speed you run it. Then set the final running speed with the motor speed control. The best of both worlds.

So other than the old mini lathe and this new Jet do you have any other machinery? I see what appears to be a combo belt and disc sander that is fairly dusty on the belt in the background. So perhaps a generalist doing a bit of wood and metal as needs arise?

I've got a variable speed gear head lathe, and the thing will flat take a bite out of something in a low gear. Don't hesitate to keep those pulleys.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

hopefully you got a carriage and tailstock with that lathe? If not, don't waste time with motor modifications until you find the carriage, it's not much of a lathe without it.

#1 priority here should be getting the carriage and then the tailstock re-installed and test everything, before considering any changes.

Keep the pulleys, use a vfd for fine tuning the speed if you want.
    I have a JET1024P, its been a good lathe for me. The things I don't like about it are the bull pin for the back gear is kind of a pain to get to and the gear train is kind of noisy, I just give it a little squirt of Lucas oil additive every now and then to keep them quieter. Other than that I prefer it over the Clausing 10x24 we have where I work.

That machine is extremely similar to a taiwan lam 350, of which I have owned one for years. Mine was made in the 70's and is a very good machine. But like said before, without the tailstock and cross saddle not much you can do. I have kept mine with the standard pulley system and one speed motor and really have no complaints.

Guys, the motor and cooling shroud is in a basket sitting on the sander in the background. I'm sure the other parts are there but just not mounted yet. I'm thinking that it should be fairly obvious that the motor, carriage and tail stock were removed to allow the machine to be moved more easily without a hoist. And as chesterspal mentioned it's a new to him lathe, not his first lathe. I'm sure he knows that it would not be much use without the other parts.

I have pretty much the same machine. Mine was made around 1980 or so.

Assuming that you got all of the parts not shown in the photo (tailstock, carriage, etc) you will find this to be a pretty capable machine. I've had mine for 25+ years and when I got a similar sized Sheldon, I kept this one as well, because it is just so handy to have two lathes sometimes. It's actually quite stout for a 10" lathe. It was my first lathe and while it's not the pinnacle of the lathe-makers art, I like mine very much and have done tons with work on it.

That three pulley system was not something the previous owner rigged up, it is the way it was originally equipped. The motor sits in that space below and just forward of the vertical arm that supports the shaft with the pulleys on it (on the right side of your photo). I would not get rid of that setup even with a VFD. It's actually a decent setup and quick and easy to shift speeds with. I have the VFD, motor and controls to swap mine over, but just have never gotten to it as this works well enough as it is that I don't feel pressed to replace the motor and add the VFD. Though I have VFD's on my other machines and love them, swapping this just has not been a priority.

if you wish I can post some photos of mine in a few days. I think I have a scan of the manual someplace if that would be of any help. It's not so informative, but has decent assembly and parts diagrams.

Wow. I have never gotten so many kind replies on any other forum I have been on. Many thanks. So glad I found this forum.

So, to answer some questions posed and ask some others... Yes and no.

Yes, I have the carriage but I did not get the tailstock.

The lady selling it for her deceased father and I look all over for it but it was no where to be found. Looking at the right end of the bed there is some darkening on the ways that leads be to believe the guy never had it. Looks as if nothing lived there for a long time... if you get my drift.

She took less for it and I'm crossing my finders one turns up on fleebay at some point. This same Jet 10-24 lathe was sold under a number of badges including Martin, Lam (Lantain Machinery Co.), Enco, Select & Grizzly. So the odds of finding a tailstock are looking a bit better. I would mainy need it for drilling more so than working on long pieces but I still want to find one.

On to the motor drive. When I said the fellow "rigged up" a motor this is what he had on the back of the table this was on.

The Dayton 3/4 HP motor was sitting on this "tray" he set up hanging way out off the back end. No way I will be putting this back the way he had it. If anyone has a pic of the correct way to mount the motor, I would love to see it.

It seems to me this would be a proper place to mount the motor, would it not?

So, for now I guess I will stick with the 3/4 HP motor if you folks feel not having a 1 HP is still OK. If not, I will look around for a 1 HP at the swap meets. I see the point about needing the pulleys for the torque it provides.

Continued...
    Last edited by chesterspal; 08-16-2018 at 03:17 PM.