Thread: southbend 9 steady rest

Default southbend 9 steady rest

i messed up a bit. its not round.

forged a 1" by .25" bar the hard way, then hammered and bent some 1" by .25" to make a circular I beam. then welded two plates on the bottom and cut them out with an angle grinder to match the bed.

Idea is to mill three slots 1" wide by about .5" deep through the weld so the web of the "I Beam" is flat and the edges of the flanges form the edges to constrain the sliding fingers. similar to this https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...teadyright.jpg

but instead of solid and hinged, its a closed I beam.

i decided to finally make one after discovering for the second time, that a steady rest made from wood isn't stiff enough.

here is the second wood one i made
    Last edited by johansen; 08-20-2018 at 02:08 AM.

I don't know if you have ever done any sand casting but its super easy and your wood one could be used for a pattern. I used something called PetroBond (spelling could be wrong) 2 cycle oil and just fine sand. I got some scrap cast aluminum and cut up and made my own crucible out of some steel pipe about 4 inches in diameter, welded end plate on of course and tabs for using a handle. Moisture is your enemy. Lots of free info online.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

yeah I could certainly cast one from aluminum, thought about it. the time spent would be similar to this method and it would weigh about the same

i also thought to have a friend of mine plasma cut a sheet to generate the web of the I beam, but figured it was a waste of a perfectly good sheet of steel. it would have been round though lol..

Or cut a slice off some Schedule 80 pipe say either 6 or 8 inch dia. Try your local scrap yard for that, I am lucky I have one 2 blocks away the City has not closed down..... yet. Either weld some 3/8 or larger nuts on the OD where needed or drill and tap. Use your shop made base and your done.
    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router