Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinder Storage What do Do With the Cords

Hmmm... the tube idee gave me another idea. A metal box below the grinders with an expanded metal floor.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    ...I've been wrapping the cords around the grinder for years without a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    ...I wind mine around from end to end from the handle to the strain relief, then tuck the end in. Stays put well enough to hang on a hook, isn't a pain in the arse to unwind, and doesn't wind up taking memory of the short curls that would happen if winding around the body...
    Yup...just like that, simple don't even have to think about it. I don't understand why home shop people have to come up with
    complicated solutions to simple problems. And cutting off the cords? Seriously?
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    Yup...just like that, simple don't even have to think about it. I don't understand why home shop people have to come up with
    complicated solutions to simple problems. And cutting off the cords? Seriously?
    And I wonder why there are still "trades people" out there who wrap an extension cord around their forearm instead of taking a whole extra minute to loop it up nicely and untwisted over their open palm so they don't have to fight cord twist the next time they use the cord. I guess you are in the "if it ain't totally broken beyond all chance of usability don't fix it" camp. Ok, if that works for you. LOL. As a one man home shop if I can spend half an hour making my tools more usable and more efficient I'll save back that half hour a hundred times over. Hopefully you can allow me that bit of ego without bashing my choice to try to make my time in the shop more efficient for years to come instead of just rushing through it with the bare minimum to get only today's job done. If not, well hopefully you will limit yourself to only verbal barbs. LOL.

P.S. As a multiple contractor's license holder I've dealt with cords wrapped around tools for decades. I've noticed quite a lot of them have outer insulation fail right behind the strain relief. Some even in that first picture have suffered that fate.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 08-22-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Well ****. Why you wasting your time here when you already know it all?

Cords (and grinders) are consumables. I'm nice to my tools, but I understand that there is a balance to be struck between getting work done and making tools last. My grinders last years. Usually get at least one set of new brushes and die still wearing their original cords with all insulation intact.

"consumables" is correct, my grinders get the cord wound in a figure 8 around the handle and body. Have two Craftsman over 25 years old still in good shape with no frayed cords. All my other grinders are Harbor freight, when one quits I just go buy a new one, have bought some for as low as $11.00. Not worth the time to get carried away over something like what to do with the cords.

I have a "grinder cart" made from an industrial surplus cart. Big heavy sucker with 8" wheels. It has multiple bench grinders mounted with wire wheels and deburring wheels, plus 3 belt grinders, and a selection of angle grinders. It also has several 2" receiver mounts so that other tools from vises to bench grinders can be mounted and rearranged as needed. If there is heavy/messy work to be done and weather permits, it rolls outside to keep the mess out of my shop.

Anyway, I generally keep 4 4.5" grinders hung over a strap I welded between the handle risers on the handle end. I got tired of fiddling with the cords, so they just drape over a bent finger with at most 2 loops. Easy to put into use and hang back up. The cart also has it's own little sub panel with multiple quad-outlets spaced around it. The grinders are almost always plugged into the one near the cart handle. The cart itself has it's own single HD extension cord hung over it's own finger. So it stays plugged in where it normally sets, or quickly unplugs and rolls to where it's convenient to use where it can be plugged in nearby or with additional extension cords. One cord powers the whole thing. It has racks with expanded metal bottoms to allow trash to fall through, and a cheap craftsman roll-around box bottom with casters removed stuffed inside it to hold die grinders, burs, grinder belts, wheels, tootsie-rolls, wire cups, more grinders, ...

But back to the OP, I don't like fooling with wrapping/unwrapping or coiling, so the "draping" works well for me. You can make nice draping fingers by using 1" tubing scrap with some "washers" stuck over it and welded into place making multiple runs for draping wire (sort of like a stacked pulley). They go on/off easily and quickly, but don't get tangled. And by draping they can stay plugged in all the time while keeping the cord organized. My fabrication table is similarly setup, but without the 8" wheels.
    Last edited by BadDog; 08-22-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Well ****. Why you wasting your time here when you already know it all?

Cords (and grinders) are consumables. I'm nice to my tools, but I understand that there is a balance to be struck between getting work done and making tools last. My grinders last years. Usually get at least one set of new brushes and die still wearing their original cords with all insulation intact.
    So judgmental people can make remarks like that. Wouldn't want to deny you your small pleasures. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BadDog View Post

But back to the OP, I don't like fooling with wrapping/unwrapping or coiling, so the "draping" works well for me.
    This is what works for me as well, it's a quick and easy way to get going.
    The only proviso being that the cord is able to accommodate this type of activity. I find that my quality grinders come with long cords with flexible insulation and the fine strands in the conductor that allow this level of flexibility.
    The cheaper grinders usually have larger gauge strands in the conductor and a stiffer insulation that are less conducive to that level of freedom in movement. Some have all the elasticity of wire rope. Of course they're usually short too so not as much to deal with.

Welcome back BadDog, long time no see.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Am I the pot or the kettle then?

Am I the pot or the kettle then?
    LOL