Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grinder Storage What do Do With the Cords

Default Grinder Storage What do Do With the Cords

The rack bar is just clamped in place so far, but at the welding table is where those grinders will get most used.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Get yourself some hook and loop velcro. What you want will have a hole at the end to allow you to wrap it around the cord then you can coil the cord up and a simple quick wrap of the velcro will secure the cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Attmu-Reusabl.../dp/B00O9VKVFK

Cut them off to leave a short pigtail on each one. You are probably plugging these into extension cords anyway so what does it matter if the extension is a little longer.

I have a HF plug in strip with 8 outlets fastened under my table top that can reach to my vice and all the work at the work table. Back in the 80's many tool companies tried that short cord concept with that same rational that most people would be using a drop cord to reach their work. Then Makita fought back and put 15' cords on their tools saying that most users needed longer cords. Makita also came out with tool boxes for all their tools with enough space to wind those cords into. Been there and used those long tool cords and never want to go back to short cords. With the electrical standards setting outlet distances above counter tops, you see why table top appliances now have shorter cords that do not meet the need of older homes. Who is running this show?? My tools sit on top of my table ready to use by reaching over and picking. I do like the concept of the holder hanging the tools but I would mount that bar above my table so I did not have to kneel over and find the one I need. At that point I would mount the plug in above the rack, still ready to use and NOT finding the end of the drop cord. Just my preference. It is like having only one 4 1/2 grinder and having to change the use tool for my needed purpose. NOT HAPPENING. Again my preference.

Personally, I would prefer to have long cords because I would not want to always be looking for an extension cord. But my suggestion does neatly solve the problem presented...

If you always use the grinders at this bench then I really don't see why short cords would be a problem at all. Make your extension a retractable drop cord from the ceiling and you won't have cords on the floor anymore.

Pick your poison.

I've been wrapping the cords around the grinder for years without a problem.

Up over the handle. Then round and round back towards the bottom till you have 6" or so left. Stick it through the loop where the cord exits the body and pull tight.

I wind mine around from end to end from the handle to the strain relief, then tuck the end in. Stays put well enough to hang on a hook, isn't a pain in the arse to unwind, and doesn't wind up taking memory of the short curls that would happen if winding around the body.

As for long cords/short cords. Put me in the long cord crowd. I'd love to find source for moulded end cords, of a very flexible nature (not the typical stiff cords found on most cheap tools now) in 10-15ft lengths, and replace ALL my corded power tool cords. I put a 20ft cord on my skilsaw, and have a 5" grinder that I put a 10ft cord on. While I have a lot of good extension cords, and do use them, it's nice to not have to use them all the time. When I bought my house it came with a lifetime supply of SOOW cable, and 3 prong repair plugs (long story....), and I've thought about making up a bunch of cords for all my tools, but I'd rather find moulded ends as I don't like the screw on type they're too bulky.

Overhead isn't going to cut it. The ceiling is atleast 16 feet anyplace this table will go. The intent is to have kick down rollers as well so I can roll it outside for stick or flux welding. Its not going up against a wall either. My walls are full of benches and shelves already. The frame is 3x7 and the top will be 4x8. Its going to be right out in the way in the middle all the time. Adding some boxes or power strips has been considered, and so far that hasn't been totally dismissed. Velcro (tm) ties have been considered. I might have some rolls of double sided Velcro left over from running data cable. Used to use a lot of that in ceilings, attics, and communications rooms. Stubby cord? I see the appeal, but I'll pass on that one. I don't JUST use the grinders at the welding bench. It might work out that way in the future, but for now I still want to be able to walk outside of the shop, flip open a cover and use it. Not that I don't have plenty of extension cords...

For the cords guy... often the strain relief can be taken off the old cord, and installed on a new one. Use to be the orange rubber cords made decent replacement cords. I put longer cords on a few tools like that many years ago. The ones that feel rubbery seem to hold up better than the ones that feel plasticy. (and typically cost a little more) I save all my damaged cords for projects and repairs and in the rare instances I throw a power tool away I save the cord and strain relief.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 08-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Another thought to manage the cords would be a short chunk of 3" pvc/abs/whatever scrap you have directly below the tool. When putting it away just drop the plug end into the pipe and hang the tool above. A couple screws through the bottom of the pipe should keep the plug from falling out the bottom and the rest of the cord "should" fall in line on top of it. Can't remember where I saw that idea, maybe WOOD magazine or something back in the day, but it's been rattling around in my brain for a long time. Didn't think of it the first time I replied, but was just out in the shop running some mindless production parts and it popped back in again lol.

Ya I thought about buying some extension cords to get the long length with moulded ends, but the ones in my price range are too stiff and cheap. I should really put some effort into finding some online, but it's just never been that big of a priority.
    Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 08-22-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Another thought to manage the cords would be a short chunk of 3" pvc/abs/whatever scrap you have directly below the tool. When putting it away just drop the plug end into the pipe and hang the tool above. A couple screws through the bottom of the pipe should keep the plug from falling out the bottom and the rest of the cord "should" fall in line on top of it. Can't remember where I saw that idea, maybe WOOD magazine or something back in the day, but it's been rattling around in my brain for a long time. Didn't think of it the first time I replied, but was just out in the shop running some mindless production parts and it popped back in again lol.
    Thanks for the idea. I think I'd have to put a screen on the bottom so the debris could fall through. LOL
    Ya I thought about buying some extension cords to get the long length with moulded ends, but the ones in my price range are too stiff and cheap. I should really put some effort into finding some online, but it's just never been that big of a priority.
    You obviously haven't priced a replacement Milwaukee power cord. LOL. A lifetime ago when I worked in a tool store we had people come in who would only replace a cord with an OEM cord. I had to order them in. Some people would pay it.