Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend a "standard" O/A welding setup

Question, please, for those who have used both a standard and medium torch for welding....

Is there a significant - or any - difference in gas usage etween a standard and medium system? Or is it simply a function of welding tip diameter, and pressure pushing the gas through?

Of course the hose diameter and length makes a big difference in how much gas is purged and wasted when shutting down after a welding session. And of course, a shorter and lighter handle translates directly into more control, even though it may get hotter with extended use.

Thanks to mf... someone... who responded to my last question. Not sure what happened to his/her post, just disappeared after a day or so.

Anyway... I'm picking up a OA kit in a couple of weeks, built around a smaller Harris 19-6a torch. Craigslist was absolutely no help at all (slim pickings, and all badly used crap), but my LWS gave me a great deal on the kit (special order from Harris, but significantly less expensive than the Steelworker kit they stock) and tanks... new 125 CF O2 tank (mine, to be refilled) and turn-in 80 cf acetylene tank, no rental fees, Detroit-area going-rate refill/swap prices, only stipulation on handling is that the returned cylinders must have caps. Works for me.

Am very much looking forward to this new challenge and capability. Am also perusing YouTube looking for basic welding and brazing projects to learn and develop skills... metal leaf sculptures are looking very interesting, at least while honing skills.

Thanks to all who responded, even those who dropped their responses... very much appreciated.

I'm sure you'll have fun with it and find it a very useful addition to the shop for a variety of tasks.
    It was the first thing I bought to get me started about 45 years ago after getting the "bug" at work and I still have and use it regularly. Not so much for welding and cutting anymore since I have other options available for those. Although many of my welding projects from back then are still holding together very nicely.
    However the quick intense heat comes in very handy for numerous jobs and the ability to braze and silver solder is always a blessing around the shop.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories