Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scrapyards

Default scrapyards

i often sell scrap to the local scrapyard. They often have huge amounts of rebar,some of which i guess is even as thick as 40mm. Is this a poor quality material or can it clean up nicely. The difference is a 1km trip compared to an 80km trip.

Hi,

Rebar is generally made from whatever got swept up off the floor at the end of the day. It is possible to get some that machines OK, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Can be literally anything, from sort of ok to miserable stuff. Chucking the rebar sucks too.

I wouldn't use it unless the mean looking guy with submachine gun forces me..

Yea, what's the guy with the Ar15 doing there? Is he protecting the rebar from being stolen?
    Work hard play hard

A mill a few miles from me grinds up junk cars and turns them into rebar.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Maybe some of that smooth stuff is jail bar.

I'd focus on any drive axles you find lying around, like the one at the bottom of one of those pictures. Might be a little tough, but guaranteed to be way better steel than rebar.

While rebar is not great for machining, it will generally weld OK. Logically, it should be structurally sound since a major use is to prestress concrete.

While it would not be my first choice, if it were cheap enough I'd keep some in the shop for making jigs and such.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

When I was a kid learning about all this stuff, I turned a lot of rebar because I could it cheaply and easily. Sometimes it turned like any other A36 steel (which isn't great but not terrible) and other times I'd hit weird inclusions that were hard. Given half the chance, I'd avoid it. Like Dan said, it can be good for other things. I use rebar for stakes and trellises, blacksmith tongs, low strength cheater/pry bars, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I'd focus on any drive axles you find lying around, like the one at the bottom of one of those pictures. Might be a little tough, but guaranteed to be way better steel than rebar.
    Or hydraulic cylinder piston rods or worn out jackhammer steel. Jackhammer steel bits are also supposed to be good for forging, but no personal experience.