Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: scrapyards

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    How can rebar be called rubbish? Isn't it a vital part of a structure e.g. bridge piling, building foundations? In NZ there has been a big stink recently with untested (false certificates) mesh and (I think) rebar being sold and used...it must meet standards or it is not suitable.

That doesn't mean it will machine nicely though.

I guess mesh is just used for crack control on your driveway, but the rebar I see going into bridge piles and high rise structures is incredible. Rubbish? I doubt it.
    I agree never had problem with turning or welding rebar when I helped a mate under pinning his house I welded all the rebar up for instead of wire tying it as straighter stronger and quicker the building inspector did his nut still donít understand why but all steel work is wire tied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    ......still don’t understand why but all steel work is wire tied
    Probably because the rebar is formed to transfer the tension properly, and only needs to be held in proper position during the pour. Welds are not relied upon for strength (although I have indeed seen welded rebar forms).

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

That stuff might be good for----rebar. The guy with the gun- probably shooting rats that try to make off with the rebar.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    That stuff might be good for----rebar. The guy with the gun- probably shooting rats that try to make off with the rebar.
    You must have mighty big tough rats

Plunger I was in Durban in 59/60 a very long time ago just a kid

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Plunger I was in Durban in 59/60 a very long time ago just a kid

Kiwi I use Durban for a geographical reference.I live about 20km from Durban.Durban was a beautiful city but is now in a state of decay.Its still has some really beautiful beaches.
    Thats a long time ago.Those were the days when the All Blacks were no 2 in the world.Now your rugby is boring. Nobody can beat you.Respect.

I seriously cannot think of a worse metal to use than re-bar, it's about as imperfect and irregular as you can get - one section you will be turning away making a little progress and then all the sudden say bub-bye to your carbide,

I avoid it like the plague, fool me once...