Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a Lowes and Home Depot in my city

Post I'm getting a Lowes and Home Depot in my city

Hey, my wife and others in my valley will become "home improvement widows" within the next few months. Our fine city has Home Depot and a Lowes coming in, brand new built, 100 yards apart!!!!!!!!

Just saw the construction trailers for both facilities set up!!!!!

Add this to fastenall, our other fine hardware stores and electrical and plumbing stores.....

CCBW, MAH

We have the same thing in my home town. Seems kinda strange to see competitors in each other's back yard. That being said, I do make use of both stores on a regular basis. Their parking lots are linked so you can park and go to either store. It's funny to be loading up at one when your truck is half full of the other guy's stuff already!

I like parking near a front door to a store then walk in 50 feet to get what I need. I don't like parking 300 yards from the front door then walking 600 yards in the store trying to find what I need.

I was out there on Saturday for my daughter's soccer game and hit "Bargain Outlet Stores" on the way back.

Someday I've gotta see your SVRTC and all those nice Maximats lined up Is that in the HS or separate?

Den

You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye. Plus all the good service and advice they have given you over the years.
    david from jax
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sandman2234:
    You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye. Plus all the good service and advice they have given you over the years.
    david from jax
    </font>
    Amen David. My little town got the first wal mart store in Az 16 years ago and thats what happened to all the small stores. I had a small gun shop and did gunsmithing work. A couple other small gunstores and we are all gone now. Go to walmart and try to get some hunting or gun advise! But they sell guns and ammo at what I paid wholesale. I remember people would go to walmart, buy a rifle and scope and then bring them to me to mount and site in! We still don't have a lowes or home depot though, 150 miles away.
    Michael

Lowes has much a much better fastener dept, though they fall down on stocking some of the stuff that isn't in demand.
    Home Depot tends to have a better plumbing dept.

The help at Home Depot tends to be more knowledgeable, .....
    thats the story on the stores here anyway.
    rollin'

Unhappy

"You can kiss all your mom and pop hardware stores goodbye"

WE have Wal-Mart here as well now,
    But
    Most people only want price, nothing else.When I sold mowers they would come to my shop and ask questions ,but would buy at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire.I would see them again when they had problems!!
    But getting back to my main point,people only see price.Look how much I saved today and I will come back tommorrow and buy more ****,so they can say again "look how much I saved..."

please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Wal-mart and Home Depot are two prime examples of why jobs are leaving this country.

On the other hand, the mom and pop hardware stores (at least in this area) have been either Ace or Trustworthy for many years. Full of imported crap !

I don't know how many times I've replaced the same cheap imported toilet components, poorly galvanized bolts, wood fasteners, etc. etc.

Maybe in time America will get re-educated and demand quality again.

Den

Lucky you, you will have a bunch of the same stuff in both stores and nobody that will no anything about any of it. I moved from a small town about 1 1/2 years ago that had a big Ace hardware store they seem to have everything. I was building a house at the time and there was a Lowes and Home Depot about 2 HR drive away. I went and compared prices and low and behold the small town hardware store would match or beat there prices without the 2 hour drive and they delivered for free. Lowes had a door I wanted so I talked to the guy on the phone and he said he would hold the door until I arrived when I showed up the door had a big dent in it. I did not buy the door when I got back to my small town I talked to the door guy and they ordered one showed up in two days and was cheaper.

Now I live in Vancouver, Wa across the Columbia River from Portland Oregon. You would think you could get anything here right. I was looking for some sanding discs the other day and hit all of the usual places and could not locate the grits I wanted. We just happened to have planned a trip back to our old home area to visit friends and I went in to the small town Ace and guess what they had everything I needed and it was full of friendly knowledgeable people I talked with these people that I only knew from doing business with them and I felt like I was visiting with old friends. I wish I could move back. This is just my 2 cents about these large supper stores.
    Mike