Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It had to happen sooner or later. A suprising set up.

Default It had to happen sooner or later. A suprising set up.

I was setting up my rotary table, getting ready to cut some gear teeth. I tapped it until it looked square to the table and bolted it snug. After that I put the indicator on it to align it with the Y axis and miracle of miracles it was sitting square to it with less then 0.001" run out over 2" just as it was. You hear about these things but I didn't expect to see it myself. Must be the clean living.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

It happens. I once threw my 5" mill vise on the table, slid the bolts into place, snugged one and left the other loose, and ran a dial indicator down the fixed jaw.

0.000".

I thought the indicator was broken, or that I hadn't preloaded it. Nope. Just slapping the vise down and putting the bolts in, it was dead-nuts perfect.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Those are instances where you say "I did it once just to prove I can but doing it twice would be showing off!

Happened to me once with a big old satellite dish. Hauled it to the site on the test trailer, put the legs down, did a rough 'eyeball' for initial alt/az alignment. Hooked up the receiver and there was a picture, looking good. Normally I would be looking for the compass and the inclinometer at this point.

Machining something usually warrants a measurement, then some turning, then another measurement just to see where you are. Take it from there, or- just last week this happened to me- you find that it's exactly the diameter you want. Two edged sword this is- far too easy to turn something down too far and have to chuck up a new piece and start over. I normally take a couple extra steps so I don't overshoot the mark- even then I can still screw it up.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    Happened to me once with a big old satellite dish. Hauled it to the site on the test trailer, put the legs down, did a rough 'eyeball' for initial alt/az alignment. Hooked up the receiver and there was a picture, looking good. Normally I would be looking for the compass and the inclinometer at this point.
    Darryl,

How many dishes did you install? I started out installing 12 footers, then 8 foot dishes in the 1980s for my dad's business. With those old 8' one piece Echosphere dishes, if I installed it on a straight pole and did everything the same way every time I usually only had to swivel it on the pole a little to nail the entire arc and hit all the satellites.

In the 1990s I was personally installing as many as 4 systems a day with Primestar (and some RCA DirecTV systems when we could get them), had three full time installers who did on average 2 systems per day each, and my dad was doing periodic installs for me as well. After a while if I did the install right I'd get signal on power up 9 out of 10 times. Sometimes one of the guys would call me because he was struggling so I'd go help. I'd do a walk through from end to end, find anything they forgot, and then point the dish. One day Chuck Farnsworth asked me how in the heck I was able to do that. I pointed up in the sky and said, "See that little dot? Just point the dish at it and you are good."

Many years later another one of my installers (and long time friend John Apple) and told me they used to sarcastically joke that I didn't install systems. I just threw out the window of the truck and they assembled themselves in the air and landed on the roof.

What they didn't realize is there was no manual for installing those systems. I decided the guys needed one with a step by step decision tree for everything, so I wrote the manual they were installing from. I told them if it wasn't in the manual call me and tell me what step the installation jumped out of the manual, and if a system doesn't work just go back through the steps in the manual. I didn't just know how to set the systems up. I wrote the manual.

loose nut

Anyway, the more often you do it the more often you will nail it. I still don't get lucky very often with setting a vise, or an indexer, but I get it a lot closer now than I did a few years ago. Sounds like you have done it a few times now and you are starting to be able to see that dot in the sky. If you look close you can see its actually a little cluster of dots. LOL.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

About 45 years ago I had just hired on at the place which I recently retired from and I was still pretty green. We had a great "working foreman" who I remember with fondness. He was a really cool guy. Anyway, he and I were shooting the bull as he was about to chuck up a piece of round stock in the 4 jaw. Well, lo and behold he nailed it when he chucked it up. That's right, the damn thing was running perfectly concentric when tested with an indicator on the first try. He looked directly into my face with a look of horror on his own face and said, "WE CAN'T HAVE THIS!" and then proceeded to intentionally screw up the position so he would be forced to indicate it in. LOL He always made work fun and I owe him a lot.

Our first installs were 15 ft dishes, then 12 ft, 10, 8, 7 footers, some even smaller working off the old C band sats. Probably put in 100-200 systems before I got tired of it. Some memories there for sure-
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Where were you gentlemen when I needed you last February? I installed a 700mm dish for our internet. Mounting the dish and wiring everything up was a breeze. Getting that damn dish aimed took me two days.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Where were you gentlemen when I needed you last February? I installed a 700mm dish for our internet. Mounting the dish and wiring everything up was a breeze. Getting that damn dish aimed took me two days.
    Using any type of satellite system for internet is kind of like ordering Pizza from another country and getting it delivered. By the time it arrives, it's cold, moldy, and there isn't any value left
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    Back in the 90's when I put the dish on my dads house we had a hard time getting anything, and yelling from the roof to the living room back and forth was a frustrating nightmare. I said "next time I do this I'm bringing a tv up on the roof". A couple years ago when I installed the dish on my house, I brought the receiver up on the roof, a small 13" tube tv, extension cord etc... Kinda preset the angle on the brackets and turned the receiver on and had about %75-80 ish. Spent the next 30 minutes playing around with it to try and tune it in, but never got better than the original lol. Hauled all that stuff up there for nothing.

I've done the vise bang on more than a couple times. I always have to give the needle a little flick to make sure. Usually always moves a bit while tightening the bolts though lol.

Personally I'd rather use this luck for lottery numbers.