Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Did I Buy Today - So Far - NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
    i'll continue to use my slow but quiet power hacksaw thankyouverymuch. I set it then go off to do something else.
    +1

me

Originally Posted by bcrider
    i'll continue to use my slow but quiet power hacksaw thankyouverymuch. I set it then go off to do something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Edwards View Post
    +1
    me

Must be one heck of a power hacksaw to handle 4 x 8 piece of plate.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I'm hoping to modify my own bandsaw to handle larger sheet stuff like that. The addition involves first buying a plasma cutter. Then I'll try to figure out some way to mount it to the frame of the bandsaw.... Or I may just rough it and use the plasma hand held.....
    A plasma cutter makes the nicest cuts on lighter gauge sheet metal and can do a decent cut on quite thick material also. I used to have one that did great up to 3/16" cutting freehand or with a cutting guide and it would do 1/4" too but I had to be careful with feed rate. After my initial use for it ended I only used it a couple of times during the following few years so I sold it to a friend. I once made a holder for the stinger that allowed me to use it on my BP clone mill and use the X axis power feed to cut a large piece of 1/2" plate in half, with proper shielding of everything of course. With the very slow and steady table feed, I got a nice cut I would never have gotten from using it handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Must be one heck of a power hacksaw to handle 4 x 8 piece of plate.
    It will do a 15" dia round.

Obviously you gotta have more than one way to cut stuff. I also have a Boice Crane bandsaw with the 2 speed gear box. A Dewalt 14" dry saw.
    I just got done using a electric sheer on some 16 gauge stainless sheet. A cordless circular saw for aluminum. And a cutting torch for plate.
    Wish I had a plasma cutter, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.
    Last edited by Michael Edwards; 09-21-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Well I spent the day yesterday sanding the mill scale off my new welding table top, and then setting up and welding a gate frame. When I finally came in the house late my wife was annoyed (only a little) I hadn't opened up and played with my new toy yet. I didn't even know it was here. I may never get used to Sunday delivery.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I have the 14" Evo chop (type) saw. It works great! I just stay away from cutting re-bar. Lost a couple of carbide teeth on re-bar.

I concur, don’t do rebar on an evolution, dangerous, angle grind, rebar cutter, gas axe.
    I’m happy with my chop saw, great on steel, **** on Ali, no good, mangles through it.
    My mrs is fairly good to me, she took a van load of scrap in to the yard, came back with an anvil and stand, I was shocked, it was immaculate, looked unused if that’s a thing.
    Her and her sister woman handled it and the stand into the back of the van, quite a feat as she’s 7 stone wet, (as blackforrest will attest I’m scared of her!,)
    Hope the saw works like mine, very happy
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Well I spent the day yesterday sanding the mill scale off my new welding table top, and then setting up and welding a gate frame. When I finally came in the house late my wife was annoyed (only a little) I hadn't opened up and played with my new toy yet. I didn't even know it was here. I may never get used to Sunday delivery.
    What Did I Buy Today - So Far - NOTHING And that's exactly what we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    What Did I Buy Today - So Far - NOTHING And that's exactly what we've seen.
    Well I finally hauled it out to the shop this afternoon and filmed one of those annoying unboxing videos just for you.

Nah, not really. I hate those things, although this one might have been a bit more entertaining. It comes in a plastic carry box, the blade was already installed, and its the first saw I ever receivd that came with ear plugs. Its a beast. Makes my Skil worm drive look small by comparison. No kidding. Might have to take a side by side picture to illustrate the difference. This thing isn't as big as a beam saw, but its big.

Quote Originally Posted by boslab View Post
    My mrs is fairly good to me, she took a van load of scrap in to the yard, came back with an anvil and stand, I was shocked, it was immaculate, looked unused if thatís a thing.
    We really need to see a picture of that. Anvils in the states fetch quite a premium. Must be a hipster thing.