Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Did I Buy Today - So Far - NOTHING

Default What Did I Buy Today - So Far - NOTHING

I've been looking at metal cutting circular saws and blades. Not a circular saw with an abrasive blade (I've done that before), but circular saws and carbide tipped metal blades intended for cutting upto mild steel.

I looked at the local box stores, I looked at Harbor Freight. I looked on Ebay and at Amazon. There are lots of options. I placed a 9 inch saw and a blade in the shopping cart at Amazon to think about and forgot about it. This morning as my wife was headed out the door she said, "Oh by the way your new saw and spare blade should be here by Sunday."

No, she doesn't have a sister. LOL.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I'm not sure that it still doesn't count if you get your SWMBO to push the "buy now" button...... Even if the idea WAS still mostly by osmosis....

I have a 9” and a 7” version of the Evolution metal cutting circular saws. When I got the 7”, I used it to cut sheet aluminum, worked great, so I bought the 9”. Then I used it to cut steel, if I tried that before, I got one, I would not own one now. Very noisy, hot chips everywhere and large and cumbersome. On the plus side, the cut quality is excellent, when used with a straight edge (fence), the cut looks like it was done with a razor blade. But for me the minuses far exceed the pluses.

They have their purposes, but gladly, I very rarely have that purpose.
    jack

My abrasive cutoff saw sits idle for 364.99 days per year for the same reason. Sparks and noise like no one's business. The "cold cut" carbide blade saws seemed to be only slightly better due to the shorter duration of the mess and noise. I'll continue to use my slow but quiet bandsaw thankyouverymuch. I set it then go off to do something else.

I picked up one of the Evolution saws for cutting large sheets of steel. For that purpose they are pretty good. Ear muffs are no big deal for a couple of cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    My abrasive cutoff saw sits idle for 364.99 days per year for the same reason. Sparks and noise like no one's business. The "cold cut" carbide blade saws seemed to be only slightly better due to the shorter duration of the mess and noise. I'll continue to use my slow but quiet bandsaw thankyouverymuch. I set it then go off to do something else.
    I have two horizontal bandsaws. A 4x6 (that will do 4x8) and a 7x10, but I still don't know how to fit a 48in x 96in piece of steel plate into one.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I got the Makita saw.. totally different than an abrasive. Quieter, faster cut, no grit, little to no sparking, no abrasive stink.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    I got the Makita saw.. totally different than an abrasive. Quieter, faster cut, no grit, little to no sparking, no abrasive stink.
    This one is the Evolution 9". We shall see. My thought was if the surface speed was too fast I could bore out a 7" blade to fit the 1 inch arbor.

hmmmmm… I wonder if it will work if I put a mag drill in the cart.

3 Phase Lightbulb Guest

Reminds me when my young daughter was playing with her new Amazon "Echo Show" that she got for Christmas. By default, the "Echo Show" was linked to my Amazon account (still is) but I didn't have purchasing turned off. One day while browsing on Amazon I noticed my "cart" had several dozen items in it. I opened up my cart and noticed all of these toys and things in there. I guess she said something to her Echo show that let her browse through toys and add them to my shopping cart. She had said something about getting new toys and my wife and I didn't know what she was talking about until later that night I noticed everything in my "cart". It was quite humorous looking through all of the items she wanted to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I have two horizontal bandsaws. A 4x6 (that will do 4x8) and a 7x10, but I still don't know how to fit a 48in x 96in piece of steel plate into one.
    I'm hoping to modify my own bandsaw to handle larger sheet stuff like that. The addition involves first buying a plasma cutter. Then I'll try to figure out some way to mount it to the frame of the bandsaw.... Or I may just rough it and use the plasma hand held.....