Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-in-one LED bike light for my commuter

that's an interesting idea. Not one that I would consider for a bunch of different reasons, but someone else might find it useful.

Better anodize that baby purple!

NEVER!

Man, that was an era of mountainbiking that I would be happy to forget -shudder-

last bit of machining done thanks to HW's funeral shutting down the whole Texas A&M system.

charger port plug. The o-ring at the end is for sealing, the one in the middle fits into a groove cut into the bore of the hole that the charging cable will go through. Took some finessing to get the groove depths right that the plug fit snuggly without being hard to get out.

in place

also made the o-rings for the bottom cover and the LED face plate, using some 1.5mm o-ring cord. Both plates seal well and you can see that there is 100% squish around the o-ring for the LED face plate when the face plate bottoms out against the housing.

This light shouldn't let water in even during one of my "biblical" bike rides where I feel like I should be swimming home instead of riding.

Next up is anodising, after that driver construction and programming.

Really nice work. Thanks for sharing the process. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

thanks and you're very welcome JR, it's been quite the learning process. Lots of screw ups but nothing terminal! Making the driver is causing me some worries though, the components are very small.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    thanks and you're very welcome JR, it's been quite the learning process. Lots of screw ups but nothing terminal! Making the driver is causing me some worries though, the components are very small.
    Well. What I am really impressed with is your machining ability and your electronics ability. I also love the two and your work is much nicer than mine. JR

P.S. I am not gonna talk riding lol I cant, I'd hurt myself
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I used to ride a lot. That could be why I just had a right knee aspiration and steroid injection on Monday. That's in addition to the weekly shot I give myself in alternating legs.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    ... in place

I like that plug for the charging port, very slick. You might want to secure the plug to the housing with some very skinny chain or cable so it
    doesn't get lost when charging.

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Well. What I am really impressed with is your machining ability and your electronics ability. I also love the two and your work is much nicer than mine. JR

P.S. I am not gonna talk riding lol I cant, I'd hurt myself
    that's high praise indeed. Not sure it's entirely deserved, but I like to do a good job and I have lots of free thinking time to mull over ideas and approaches. Having a proper mill has made all the difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I used to ride a lot. That could be why I just had a right knee aspiration and steroid injection on Monday. That's in addition to the weekly shot I give myself in alternating legs.
    that sucks Ken, sorry to hear that. I'm always worried about stuff like that, but hopefully the pins will on working for a while yet. At least road riding is fairly low impact.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I like that plug for the charging port, very slick. You might want to secure the plug to the housing with some very skinny chain or cable so it
    doesn't get lost when charging.
    thanks! Funny you say that about a retainer, that was originally the plan, using one of the bottom cover screws to hold the other end of the cable/ chain. There's a lot for the idea, even just removing the hassle of finding the plug when charging is finished (ah, just saw that you wrote that too). I canned it largely due to laziness - I needed to facemill the bottom cover while it was attached to the light, so I needed to countersink all the screws to below the eventual surface, which ruled out using one of the screws to attach the chain. thinking about it, that's a pretty poor reason, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. The plug is a bit of a bugger to get out, so fingers crossed that will stop it falling out in use, and I'll just have to pay attention to where i put it when it's charging