Thread: CO 2 Tanks

Default CO 2 Tanks

I have always used flux core wire with my MIG. I see a local CL ad selling 2 CO-2 tanks, but says they need to be hydro’d before refilling. Is this normal? Don’t these tanks just do exchanges like others? They are asking 20 bucks for them.

Advice appreciated.

It needs to be tested
    Most tanks need tested ever 5 years
    The hydro’d is type of test use per DOT
    The tank is put in a water and pressureris
    The see how must is water is displaced
    Very little displaced the tank pass

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by rws View Post
    I have always used flux core wire with my MIG. I see a local CL ad selling 2 CO-2 tanks, but says they need to be hydro’d before refilling. Is this normal? Don’t these tanks just do exchanges like others? They are asking 20 bucks for them.

Advice appreciated.

You asked: Don’t these tanks just do exchanges like others? They are asking 20 bucks for them.

To the best of my recollection, a test is required every 10 years. If your gas supply shop does exchanges they are likely ignore it. I drop my tank at the back of the shop and they provide a new one with only a glance to confirm that I dropped something off. If you have your tanks refilled and returned to you they are likely to charge you a few bucks for the test. The charge varies with where you live and how greedy the shop is

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

At one time I used a lot of CO-2 tanks that were mine. The gas supplier would always exchange the ones that were out of date on their hydro, but when they weren't out of date he would fill them and I'd get the same tank back.
    Didn't make sense to me but I didn't ask any questions.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Last time I took orphaned tanks to my LWS, they charged about $20 to put them into their system. After that I just get swaps. I was under the understanding that was to include them into their hydro schedule.
    bo

Quote Originally Posted by boroko View Post
    Last time I took orphaned tanks to my LWS, they charged about $20 to put them into their system. After that I just get swaps. I was under the understanding that was to include them into their hydro schedule.
    bo
    That is what the local place here did as well. I had an old out of date tank I brought in. The guy said he could fill it once it was hydro tested, it was $15 to test it I think. I said fine, and then he just gave me a full tank from his stock. Been swapping them out ever since, 8 or 10 years now.