Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So- What is Wrong With This Picture

Default So- What is Wrong With This Picture

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Nothing that a bit of drilling and tapping can't solve?

It's a flux core wire tip adapter.

The white balance is off. Lighting is poor. Specular highlights.

p.s. Composition isn't very good either
    Last edited by elf; 10-06-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Only thing I can see is that the liner seems to stick out a bit too far. It might push back in when the diffuser is
    threaded on though. We'll assume that the parts are right for the gun--push on nozzle seems right. Otherwise
    I got nothin'. There really isn't much to go on...
    Keith

No gas holes in the tip adapter? They might be in the face of the piece at the end of the neck. I can't remember, been so long since I've had mine apart.

Yep, No holes in the gas diffuser. I never even knew to look, but I always struggled to MIG with that rig. Its diffuser that came in the gun. I bought it new several years ago, and had mostly relegated it to flux core. Inspite of the naysayers flux core welds just fine. Its just messy, but the more I've been welding lately the more I started to begrudge the time spent on cleanup. I also hated that I had to constantly swap polarity because its a dual gun rig with dual solenoids and dual bottles. A regular stinger and a spool gun. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to swap the cables every time you pick up the other gun. I started looking at weld videos to see what was wrong. It was using gas. I could hear the solenoid click, and see the flow meter move when I pulled the trigger. The only thing I could think of was maybe a pinhole was causing gas contamination by Venturri affect. I could feel the gas shoot out the nozzle.

Yesterday I decided I was going to find the problem or reduce the welder to scrap metal to find out why not. Since it doesn't leak down (and no hiss) I knew there was no such contamination happening from the tank to the solenoid. I started at the gun. Pulled the trigger and gas came out but only on one side. Risking electrocution (not really) I put my fingers on either side of the wire, and could feel gas only on one side. Ok, No problem. Off comes the nozzle, and look for the obstruction. There was a little spatter from running flux core, but really not that bad. Mostly just at the mouth of the nozzle. With the nozzle off I repeated my previous test with my fingers and I felt no gas at all, but I could hear it. I moved my hand forward and felt it as I past the tip. I thought what's the point of the nozzle if the gas comes out practically at the very end of it. I looked up the various diffusers on-line and quickly came to realize they all had holes except mine.

It never even occurred to me that a dual gun dual bottle Miller MIG welder would come with a "bad" diffuser. I never even thought to look. Somebody here said its for flux core, but other guns (Lincoln and Harbor Freight) I have just use a tight nozzle when running straight flux core rather than a diffuser with no holes. I had long since given up on MIG welding with it, but it always bugged me. I knew the welder itself was ok. It will burn flux core all day long, and the spool gun works just fine.

I actually bought the machine (new from IOC) to learn to MIG weld aluminum. I don't think I even picked up the stinger the first couple years I owned it. Most of my steel welding was in the field and my little portable flux boxes did that better anyway. For heavy stuff I usually used the Lincoln AC cracker box. The Miller welds aluminum pretty well within a narrow range, and the range is expanded a little with meticulous technique. Anyway, I just knew the basic machine was ok. For the life of me I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't MIG steel worth a darn.

I can't imagine why they even sold it that way. No it didn't come with another diffuser. All the spares are in a magnetic base bowl on the top of the machine, or in a box I keep inside the cabinet. I even still have the original manual which I have read cover to cover more than a couple times.

Push comes to shove I think the balance is more towards happy that I finally found something I can fix than that I feel stupid for not doing it a long time ago.

P.S. The liner fits up into the back the part of the two part diffuser that is unscrewed and laying on the table.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 10-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Miller saw the picture (I posted it on their forum) and they are sending me a "properly machined" diffuser. LOL.

I'd drill the one I have, but I've had notoriously bad luck drilling copper.

Well, I didn't want to wait until the end of the week or early next week for the free replacement from Miller to arrive so I popped over to the local Praxair store, (great guys in that shop) and showed my gas diffuser to the guy on the counter. I asked what was wrong with my gas diffuser. He didn't get it until I told him. No holes. He then went right over to the wall where he had both Miller brand and their store brand replacements. I bought the store brand for less than $4 including tax and headed back to my shop.

I just did the nicest and prettiest weld joining a couple pieces of 1/8" wall mild steel tube that I have ever done with that machine. Oh its an ugly weld, but its not covering in slag, the tube isn't covered in spatter, and the penetration is good. Its the prettiest steel weld I have ever done with that machine. I just ran straight settings off the flip card. Actually the wire speed might be a hair fast, but now that it welds properly I can learn to adjust and get the best welds my abilities will allow.

No I don't JUST suck at welding!

I'm a little embarrassed, and I feel a little stupid I never tackled the welder as the problem before, but mostly I'm absolutely ecstatic that I can actually "MIG" weld with it finally.

FYI: No its not a flux core diffuser. LOL. The part number on my old diffuser and on the replacement is the same.

Bob,
    Two things, I had to through and bottom drill and tap 2” thick copper blocks. An old machining book that came with an Atlas lathe gave me the solution. Stone the hook off the flutes by holding the stone parallel to the drill axis. It stops the drill from self-feeding and works fantastic in copper, plastics, and fiberglass making a nice smooth hole.

Second thing. I got an electric brake once where they drilled the hole in an adapter sleeve on the wrong side. No way I could put that sucker together. Factory overnighted me a new part with the same problem. That was when they realized they had to do a nationwide recall of thousands of units sold through Grainger, as this was a safety device!