Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abom shows taking longitudinal measurements with rule and Mighty Mag as a stop

Default Abom shows taking longitudinal measurements with rule and Mighty Mag as a stop

It's a 30 minute vid of vanilla lathe work (1100-pound workpiece). You can skip to 30:10 to see a still of the Mighty Mag technique - or skip to 17:40 to see video of same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXIvoGRHEoU

Not bad but the workpiece has to be pretty big for that to be particularly useful. Could always just hold the rule to the part and do the same.

With age may come the shakes ...

I thought the method was a nice way to hold the rule while the other hands were moving the carriage. But perhaps instead of the cardboard ring or whatever it is a second Mighty Mag or other magnetic option at the other end too?

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I thought the method was a nice way to hold the rule while the other hands were moving the carriage. But perhaps instead of the cardboard ring or whatever it is a second Mighty Mag or other magnetic option at the other end too?
    I just watch all 3 parts (almost 2 hours) the card board ring is to keep the chips out of the steady rest's rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    I just watch all 3 parts (almost 2 hours) the card board ring is to keep the chips out of the steady rest's rollers.
    I didn't have that much patience. So I was skipping around even through the one video linked in the opening post. That's a heck of a good idea for chip control. Stuff like that shows he had a great teacher and has his own good head on his shoulders.

A RANT,I also have done the scale balancing dance many times.
    I have ran large lathes like this for 60 plus years. It seems that old time lathe makers didn't realize that most lathe work has TWO DIMENTIONS,dIAMETERS AND LENGTH. The old lathes had incredible gear boxes and feed and threading mechanisms and real nice cross slide dials for establishing diameters. None that I ran had any provision for measureing LENGTH other than a crude micrometer stop designed by a beginer engineer.Very few of the tailstocks had an accurate dial for hole depth.As for as I know,there was never a USA lathe manufacturer that installed digital readouts at the factory,or even a travadial.. I know that the lathe manufactures must have used their own machines in their own plant.What were they thinking? .Oh well they are mostly out of business.rant over.Edwin Dirnbeck

You do make a VERY good point Edwin. Many a time I've used calipers between a parting tool edge and the face of a part to get a decently accurate final length that is of a tighter tolerance then my Mk 1 eyeball can manage with a rule. Yet as you say there really is no good built in way to move a precise axial amount if it's longer than the travel of the compound rest.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    You do make a VERY good point Edwin. Many a time I've used calipers between a parting tool edge and the face of a part to get a decently accurate final length that is of a tighter tolerance then my Mk 1 eyeball can manage with a rule. Yet as you say there really is no good built in way to move a precise axial amount if it's longer than the travel of the compound rest.
    DONT GET MME STARTED ON TRAVEL OF THE COMPOUND REST
    To ad insult to injury,the STUPID MONARCH lathes that I ran, went to great expense and trouble so that the compound TRAVEL was one half of the dial readings. In other words the compound dial was graduated on DIAMETERS.These lathes were built with so much pride and skill and craftsmanship and sweat and blood by the workers in the plant. To bad designers didn't apply the same energy to using their brain more.Edwin Dirnbeck

Not to change directions..but in part 3, Abom machined 2" keyways in that shaft on a mill not much bigger than a standard Bridgeport! That shaft weighed 60-70% of the that mill.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZM04iCXuvo