Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abom shows taking longitudinal measurements with rule and Mighty Mag as a stop

Mag base, test indicator, and gauge blocks on the flat way for precise length movements.

But yeah, I agree, it should be built into the lathe itself. That's actually one of the only things I like about my Myford super 7 is the hand wheel on the end of the lead screw.

I enjoy watching some of Adam's videos. Always something to learn from them, and good production value.

But yeah, I agree, it should be built into the lathe itself. That's actually one of the only things I like about my Myford super 7 is the hand wheel on the end of the lead screw.
    A fair number of the smaller lathes from the Myfords and on down have that feature either directly or as an add on. My old Myford 7 (just 7) did not have the wheel but it was an optional extra. I was going to add a wheel but sold the lathe in favor of my 12x36 before I got "a round tuit". Such hand wheels are simply not spatially possible/practical for larger machines though for obvious reasons.

Some time back I bought a couple of those single axis DRO's labeled as being more for wood working tools than for metal working as they are only good to plus or minus a thou or two. I figured it would be good for the lathe carriage though as even with plus or minus a couple it would be great for a lot of things. We simply do not need to hold to a couple of tenths ALL the time after all...

But that's another add on solution. And the thread is all about the lack of such a feature from the factories.

Ahh, DRO's to the rescue. Abom79 is my favorite guy on Youtube, even donate to his patreon.

The Smart & Brown model A that I use at the museum has an adjustable scale on the main saddle wheel with 0.01" markings. I don't know what the movement is per turn, as I never use it. I really must remember to have a proper look at it.