Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else still using the old Alibre CAD program?

Default Is anyone else still using the old Alibre CAD program?

Have you updated to the current version?

Do you use it commercially, or just for hobby stuff?

Why have you not converted over to Fusion etc?

I still use it, I have the current 2018 version, I do use it commercially, and I have not converted because I like the program. And I prefer to have something I can use without an internet connection, that "will not" store anything out in "the cloud", since some things I do are confidential, relate to patents, etc.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Wow I haven't heard that name in years. I thought that project was dead. I'm afraid I was spoiled by Solid Works when I went back to school at the age of 50... previously I had used pencil and paper on a drafting table. Now days at home I am experimenting with Solve Space, which seems to do a credible impression of Solid Works.
    For ease of use I would go with Qcad, and for offhand sketching I'm trying Dia.

Maybe there is a version of Alibre for trial?

Disclaimer: all the named applications are UNIX apps

I still have it. When Alibre bought it back from Geomagic Design I went to the most recent non-maintenance version. I dont recall that version number at the moment. I cant justify the cost of maintenance for something I use very infrequently for hobby use and then not very well. Seems I'm always re-learning it since I dont use it much. I've not gone to Fusion because I dont use Alibre much so would have another thing to learn (and relearn since I dont use it enough). I still like Alibre though. I also like not needing an internet connection to use it and do not like to store anything in the cloud if I dont have to (I do have both our iPads storing to the cloud though for pictures and such). I also play around a bit with FreeCAD.
    Bill

The company was sold to 3D systems in 2012 or so, but was bought back by a group of the original folks almost two years ago. They have released a major new version and some interim updates.

I used Solidworks, and did not particularly like it. I have used Pro-E, Alibre, and Solidworks for 3D cad, as well as fiddled with the non-parametric 3D program TurboCad, and many versions of AutoCad. One version of AutoCad LT had some 3D capability, but it was minimal.

of the lot, I like Alibre the best as far as ease of use.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I still have it as well. I suffered through the 3DS versions by skipping most of the maintenance and updates once my subscription ran out. I had gotten a really good deal on a 3 year maintenance and the 3DS thing happened about half way or more through. When the most recent group bought it back, I re-upped for a year mostly to support the cause. That year isich is just about to run out. I had Autodesk Inventor for quite a while via my job but could not justify the cost of that for personal use. I mostly use Alibre for home shop stuff with some occasional "pro" usage but nothing very complex. I find it easy enough for what I do though what I do is not all that challenging.

I downloaded Fusion 360 but just never really got to trying it out so it vanished with my latest computer upgrade. I could just never quite get a warm fuzzy feeling for Sketchup, though some people do amazing stuff with it. Beyond that I've not had much exposure to any of the others out there.

Alibre works for what i do and I don't have any particular motivation to change to something else.

I was in on the original release and paid annual maintenance a couple times when it was in the $200 range.

My use is relatively minor, occasionally when I have a solid model from another CAD/CAM that I can't get a fillet or chamfer function to do what I want. For me it's just another tool to be used as needed.

Have it...use it almost daily. Paired with AlibreCAM (Visual CAM for Alibre).

Ken

My dad uses Alibre and suggested I try it. Maybe I tried it at the wrong time, but it didn't click with my way of thinking.

I've been using ViaCad for all of my 3D work since version six, and am currently using Version 9 Pro 64 bit. Its seems to be me to be the most intuitive to use of the dozen or so 3D CAD programs I've use. I use the CAM in Fusion, but rarely the CAD. Everything seems to take to many steps and the adjustments don't feel natural to me. I do sometimes use Fusion to open part files that ViaCAD, but there aren't many it won't open. FreeCAD has some mesh cleanup tools not found in the other CAD programs I have so I use it from time to time for tweaking meshes. I use ViaCAD every day as part of my business.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Odd. I found it to be very intuitive, and took a very shirt time to become productive with it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I use Alibre and have done for many years, almost back to its launch. I find it very easy to use and have had very few issues with modelling anything I wanted. I use it for my own projects and for drawings of engine parts for the museum where I work part time. I might go to Fusion eventually for the CAM, but as far as CAD is concerned Alibre does everything I need and very productively. Obviously a lot of that is familiarity, but I have used many CAD/CAM/CAE systems (back to CV CADDS 3 if anyone remembers that) and Alibre stands up pretty well in ease of use.
    Bill