Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anyone else still using the old Alibre CAD program?

I have it but only use it to export DXF files to be sent to the CNC laser and plasma cutters. I use Fusion now almost exclusively for modeling. If I need a DXF I export my Fusion model and import it into Alibre for the DXF export.
    When I first started using Fusion I hated it and really struggled with their concept of applying contraints. Now I love the contraint system and when I try to constrain something in Alibre I dislike it. The cloud is what mostly puts me off Fusion but I am only doing my personal projects on Fusion so security is not an issue.

Another reason I like Fusion is SimLab Composer has a plug-in for Fusion. This enables me to link my model to SimLab and it will update automatically in SimLab if I make changes in Fusion. SimLab Composer is a great rendering and animation software. Much better than what is offered with Fusion.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I started with Alibre Design in 2006 and upgraded to the Expert version sometime after that. I was off maintenance for a year or two when 3D Systems stopped developing it but resumed when the Alibre folks bought it back. I tried out Onshape a couple years back and actually like that quite a bit more than Alibre. I'm on the free Onshape plan so have no private documents but $1200 per year for the Pro version is too much for my mostly hobby, part-time professional CAD work. I still use Alibre for anything proprietary, but Onshape for everything else. I've tried F360 but just don't like the way it works.
    Mike Henry near Chicago

I like the export to Keyshot, although that got bungled by Luxion so that you cannot use the material property to drive the Keyshot material the way you should be able to.

It really impresses clients.

I've shown this before, but....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    I like the export to Keyshot, although that got bungled by Luxion so that you cannot use the material property to drive the Keyshot material the way you should be able to.

It really impresses clients.

I've shown this before, but....

Have you looked at SimLab Composer? I had Keyshot many years ago but switched over to SimLab. I really like it and it is quite easy to use.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Why?

When keyshot comes with, and integrated into, Alibre, I have no need to fiddle with substitutes.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Nothing has changed since the first PC. Software is still Personal, you like something or you don’t, there is no best.