Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Entire lead roof of English church stolen

So back around the 2nd response, someone was wondering about the temperature of Hell?
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    . Exporting it illegally out of an island country would seem difficult and risky in terms of getting caught.
    Unfortunately all they have to do is stick it in a barrel and put it on a lorry to one of the newer EU states. No customs checks between EU countries and some of them are not quite that particular. Mind you plenty of UK scrap yards weren't that particular. It took years for the dumb apes in parliament to bother to put controls any on the scrap yards.
    And yes at the peak of the scrap iron prices manhole covers were included in their haul, along with some of my gutters.
    A bronze statue was taken from inside our church but found a few years later in an antique shop 100 miles away.

I don't get it. I have a hard time understanding why there would be a black market for stolen lead in modern Britain. I mean with all the environmental controls nowadays it would be difficult to turn it into an openly saleable product. Firearms are essentially banned and ammunition is tightly controlled. So casting a zillion bullets would seem not really practical in terms of creating a product people would have a need for (not to mention you still need cartridges, primers and powder). Exporting it illegally out of an island country would seem difficult and risky in terms of getting caught.

All I can think of is the lead shingles (or sheets?) could be resold directly for the exact same purpose they were originally used for - as roofing materials on very old buildings. Something the UK still has a whole lot of. And buying new lead roofing materials would surely cost an arm and a leg, especially with the environmental constraints likey to exist, so I could see it being used for that. And if that's the case, local authorities across the country could fairly easily watch for licensed or especially unlicensed roof jobs on old buildings to have a chance of nabbing the crooks. Especially since they would be narrowed down to lead roofs. How common could that be in this day and age?
    I've read that Lead sheeting for roof is still popular in the U.K. Scrap lead can't be easily traced like a gold or silver coin. The lead roof may have been stolen over a period of time and once in the scrapyard, resold for industrial uses.

I don't get it. I have a hard time understanding why there would be a black market for stolen lead in modern Britain. I mean with all the environmental controls nowadays it would be difficult to turn it into an openly saleable product. Firearms are essentially banned and ammunition is tightly controlled. So casting a zillion bullets would seem not really practical in terms of creating a product people would have a need for (not to mention you still need cartridges, primers and powder). Exporting it illegally out of an island country would seem difficult and risky in terms of getting caught.
    Lead is still used in lead-acid batteries, sailboat keels and shielding for x-ray and nuclear. Still quite a market for elemental lead.

Guess lead theft is a massive issue:

Lead theft is hard work and can make many thieves break a sweat. SelectaDNA Grease makes lead thieves think twice before exerting themselves

You've seen the movie "The Italian Job". Picture the final scene in the Italian Alps with the Bus tipping precarioulsy over the edge. Hundreds of gold bricks are about to slide down the bus and fall out of the open doors. Michael Caine can do nothing but watch as the final credits role.

Well, it's not just gold that is worth stealing now - lead is too. Lead might not have gold's beautiful lustre or be quite as valuable , but it's price has almost doubled in the last twelve months, quadrupled in the last four. Demand is on the increase and with it lead theft.

Nobody is immune - home owners, schools, colleges and churches. Everyone is suffering from this spate - or rather epidemic - and lead thieves are to blame.

Lead theft likely to make thieves sweat

You might never have lifted a gold ingot before, but put yourself in the shoes of these lead thieves. They are regularly flexing their muscles and literally lifting hundreds of kilos of the stuff in their midnight heists. The melting point of gold is higher (1,000 degrees v 300 degrees) and the yellow coloured metal is more dense because its atoms are more closely packed together, but don't kid yourself, lead ranks as one of the heaviest metals out there. That makes lifting sheets of stolen lead hard work - even for really strong thieves.

The weight of lead theft

The density of lead is 11.35g per cm3. That equates to 11,350kg per m3 or 25,000 pounds for a lump of lead 1m by 1m by 1m. Given that a typical dustbin is about a tenth of that, we are talking about a full bin of stolen lead weighing in at a wapping 1,000kg or about 10 grown men. That would have been a challenge for even Geoff Capes to lift, and he was the World's strongest man twice during the 80s. It's no wonder why a dustbin with wheels is the favourite moving tool for professional lead thieves - it makes the job of moving their booty to their waiting van that much easier.

SelectaDNA Grease stops lead theft

SelectaDNA Grease allows home owners, schools and churches to permanently protect and mark lead windows, lead piping and lead roofing with a DNA impregnated Outdoor Grease that links Criminals to their crime scene. The DNA contained within every pot of SelectaDNA can be forensically analysed and the results used in a Court of Law for prosecution.

Not only will the DNA grease prove ownership of the stolen lead, if recovered by Police, but it will also link lead thieves to their crime scene. SelectaDNA Grease is practically impossible to remove and remains on skin, hair and clothes for weeks. Thieves hate it and stay away when they know anthing to do with DNA is used as a deterent.

In use since 2005, the range of SelectaDNA forensic products is achieving reductions in burglaries and theft of up to 85%. UK Police Forces use it as a formidable theft deterent. Property marked and protected with DNA becomes too hot to handle and suddenly the second hand value of anything marked with it drops - well, like a lead baloon.

Call Selectamark on 01689 860757 - or fill in our online enquiry form on the Contact page of this website.

Back to Lead Theft news
    Buy Lead Theft Protection products

Copied from this site:
    https://www.selectadna.co.uk/lead-th...eft-heavy-work

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    What a bunch of pathetic losers - we need to just ship them to a deserted island somewhere and let them all work it out for themselves - someplace low maintenance that we don't have to provide heat - I know - Bikini Atoll

only thieves of lower quality are the organ stealer's - just start getting rid of them and freeing up some space...
    It's called Australia

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyf View Post
    So back around the 2nd response, someone was wondering about the temperature of Hell?
    This is a good one!

Earlier this summer, someone here would go to the industrial section of the city on weekends, and would drill holes in the gas tanks of parked cars at businesses, to steal the gas... and there was also a rash of catalytic converter thefts as well..

lead is expensive enough, and easy enough to melt down most any thief can melt it down and it is worth the time to do that as far as i know.

throw in a bunch of lead acid batteries and it will have the antimony and calcium signature and you can say its not from a roof (that said roof lead probably has antimony in it, but not calcium)

if the price climbs enough, it will be worth the time and risk to react melted down car batteries with aluminum to not only sell the lead, but turn the lead oxide and lead sulphate back into lead. i tried this once.. it made some lead, melted through the 5 gallon propane can and made a very large cloud of white smoke, a white smoke that had no odor. i did this again recently, with some effort you can make it work without burning through the crucible.

anyhow, no reason to get 5$ for a car battery at a scrap yard if you can get 20$ for the lead and sell the gallon of 30% sulphuric acid to the local "cooks"
    Last edited by johansen; 10-11-2018 at 02:14 AM.

Look on Ebay & lead runs about $1.50 per # & shipped in flat rate boxes which is a killer on my rural lady mail carrier using her car. 75#s is a lot.
    You can lead people to knowledge but you can't make them think.
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." George Patton
    "I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves".
    Ronald Reagan