Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Entire lead roof of English church stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Unfortunately all they have to do is stick it in a barrel and put it on a lorry to one of the newer EU states. No customs checks between EU countries and some of them are not quite that particular. Mind you plenty of UK scrap yards weren't that particular. It took years for the dumb apes in parliament to bother to put controls any on the scrap yards.
    And yes at the peak of the scrap iron prices manhole covers were included in their haul, along with some of my gutters.
    A bronze statue was taken from inside our church but found a few years later in an antique shop 100 miles away.
    Yeah, lets blame the Europeans, even though to get from the UK to Europe you have to pass through UK customs at the ferry port as they are NOT part of the schengen agreement. Everything can be blamed on Europe of late, now we're into the post truth future.

If you honestly believe its not gangs of UK based thieves selling to dodgy scrapyards that know how to dodge the regulation or being loaded on large ships for recycling in china and asia like some of the academic articles mention as a root cause, and instead its organized gangs incurring massive transport costs for continental shipment, you should be pointing the finger right at UK customs for allowing "barrel's" pass through un-inspected.
    Having had my van unloaded, disassembled and xrayed by customs when running personal items from the UK into Europe that I had receipts for, I call first hand actual experience in this matter.

Vast majority of these crimes are committed by the same group just different terminology -
    gypsies/travellers/pikies.
    Sorry for not being PC, but that's the truth. I call them scumbags.
    Many years ago, when i still lived there and had my shop, my engine recon shop was run by an old boy called Malcolm Barker - Barker Engineering. They did all the local crank regrinds, c/head jobs, rebores etc etc on motorcycles, cars, big trucks etc.
    One day i went there with a job, and there he sat (60 years old then) in a daze. The place looked like a bomb had gone off. Yep, gypsies had been in during the night and stolen everything that could be carried out that weighed anything useful. So, customer's cranks, heads, barrels, you name it, if it could be carried it was gone. All to be weighed in. Scumbags.
    Police knew who it was, a new traveller site on the outskirts of the city, but "not enough evidence, can't upset them, racism" blah blah.
    Malcolm was never the same after that, and retired a few years earlier than he wished for... RIP Malcolm...

So it sounds like corrupt scrappers are the most likely disposal venue. Still, getting rid of over 20 tons of vintage lead roofing materials discreetly will not be easy. Especially if the cops are running sting operations to suss out who the corrupt ones are. Meanwhile, a 500 year old church lies unsheltered and awaiting donations from a nation now largely converted over to atheism (or Islam). A sad state of affairs.

In 2004 or so, I worked on a project with FNM, a Mexican railroad. At that time, they still used telegraphy between stations, and theft of the copper wire was a problem. The Mexican Engineer I was working with told me that they had just had a theft of 5 km of wire. They sent a crew to replace it. When they finished, they checked the line, and it was open. Driving back along the line to find the fault, they found that the first 4 km had been stolen already.

They eventually started going to iron wire and pumping up the battery voltage to compensate. Voltage was sometimes high enough to kill a thief.

Several years later, much of the copper was replaced by a microwave network, but many of the channels still carried telegraphy.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
    They eventually started going to iron wire and pumping up the battery voltage to compensate. Voltage was sometimes high enough to kill a thief.

Ed

oh that's too bad,,, probably did not help that you guys were leaving aluminum ladders next to every other pole so you could "help them out" a little... I have zero sympathy....

Back in the 80's when I was in high school, I got a really good deal on a Blaupunkt stereo/CD unit for my car. I only had it for a few weeks before someone broke into my car and stole it while I was in a parking lot at the mall. I had a car alarm but it did nothing to prevent someone from steeling it. I really loved that head unit so I wanted to get another one just like it but I couldn't get the same good deal so I ended up spending like 2x what I originally paid to replace it and I didn't have lots of money back then so it was really infuriating. I also decided to superglue a few razor blades under my dash as the radio was easily dislodged from the frame if you pushed hard on it from behind. My car got broken into again and they tried to steel the radio but the razor blades did stop them. I then had to clean blood smears all over the passenger side of the car which I kind of enjoyed but realized there must be a better way.
    Work hard play hard

I had a Blaupunkt stereo cassette player stolen out of my BMW many years ago, damn that PMOffed so bad - I can remember driving around town looking at everyone as a suspect, if someone looked back funny I would just stare them down to see if they would flinch,,,

it really is an invasion - but nothing like having your house get broken into (twice) after that happens you have to go through your fridge and dump everything out,,, go through your cabinets and anything that was open has to be pitched, don't forget to toss your toothbrushes - there's an on-line vid of what thieves used them for and then put them back in the holder during a robbery that they took a vid of... you don't want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    don't forget to toss your toothbrushes - there's an on-line vid of what thieves used them for and then put them back in the holder during a robbery that they took a vid of... you don't want to know...
    If you're concerned about that then hide your actual toothbrushes and leave out some decoy toothbrushes out that are easily visible but contain extra super military grade itching powder on them. Or maybe small razor blades hidden within the bristles
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I also decided to superglue a few razor blades under my dash as the radio was easily dislodged from the frame if you pushed hard on it from behind. My car got broken into again and they tried to steel the radio but the razor blades did stop them. I then had to clean blood smears all over the passenger side of the car which I kind of enjoyed but realized there must be a better way.
    I knew a guy that was living in Naples Italy where his car radio was stolen multiple times. So he did the same thing - fixed a bunch of razor blades under the dash. Sure enough, shortly afterwards, he came out to his car in the morning and there was blood all over his carpet and dashboard - the radio was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    I knew a guy that was living in Naples Italy where his car radio was stolen multiple times. So he did the same thing - fixed a bunch of razor blades under the dash. Sure enough, shortly afterwards, he came out to his car in the morning and there was blood all over his carpet and dashboard - the radio was still there.
    The way things are nowadays, the crook will sue you for making things difficult.
    A few years ago, a guy found a thief lying on the front seat with his head under the dash and legs outside the open door. He kicked the door and broke the thief's leg. The police came and the thief filed a complaint saying that it was cold and he found the car with the doors unlocked so he was just taking a nap.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal