Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: it is sad to see sears go after 125 years

Default it is sad to see sears go after 125 years

https://www.theguardian.com/business...stores-closure I did like there tools and have a lot of them, but you can not compete with hf on th tool side. If I was starting out again in this hobby hf would be my go too place. I got this as my frist tool from them https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-4...saw-62377.html and after 30 years still running same motor.

Just sell all the tools you have now,
    and buy all new ones at Harbor Freight.
    There, problem solved.

-D

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Just sell all the tools you have now,
    and buy all new ones at Harbor Freight.
    There, problem solved.

-D
    So cold, but funny! LOL!

Well, at least folks will stop buying broken Sears tools and trying to get them replaced free.....

And the price on old Craftsman tools may drop a bit.... some people seemed to think they were worth Snap-on collector prices.

It's kinda crazy, Sears should have OWNED the internet.

Sears was the store most likely to have beat Amazon to the punch, given their long history, and they never seem to have even thought about trying. They were a natural to be in there as of 20+ years ago, almost before the internet really became a "standard personal accessory". But they never did.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-14-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Hurt View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...stores-closure I did like there tools and have a lot of them, but you can not compete with hf on th tool side. If I was starting out again in this hobby hf would be my go too place. I got this as my frist tool from them https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-4...saw-62377.html and after 30 years still running same motor.
    We knew this was coming the minute Sears announced its merger with KMart. To make thing worse, they tried to maintain both entities. A bit like trying to make a right out of two wrongs. CEOs and board of directors should be held accountable for poor decision making.

Sears made their profit for years on credit sales. They didn't take anyone elses card & make a killing. I don't know how they could buy Kfart while in bankruptsy or why they would wany sh*thole Kfart in the 1st place. It was way past it's prime & on a fast downhill slide. Also they quit sending catalogs & never got a website that was any good. They just didn't keep up with they changing market.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

With regard to Sears out competing Amazon, I think that Sears was much too conservative. They rigidly opposed Visa and Mastercard when they came out, insisting on using their own revolving credit system. Each large purchase had to be approved individually. That lost them sales... Well, some of mine. Who wants to stand around for 20 minutes waiting for a manager's approval to buy a vacuum cleaner?

Sears never quite got past the idea of making a profit from shipping and handling on catalog sales. There was even a handling charge the last time that I picked up a catalog purchase at the store.

But I really liked other aspects of the business. We had a service center right here in town where I could pick up any part needed for repair of most of their equipment. I bent the shaft of my first hand drill, and even though it was 20 years old they had parts to fix it. They had a great selection of goods in the store and had the catalog to back up that inventory... as long as you were willing to wait a week or 3.

I'll miss them too.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by flylo View Post
    Sears made their profit for years on credit sales. They didn't take anyone elses card & make a killing. I don't know how they could buy Kfart while in bankruptsy or why they would wany sh*thole Kfart in the 1st place. It was way past it's prime & on a fast downhill slide. Also they quit sending catalogs & never got a website that was any good. They just didn't keep up with they changing market.
    You got that backwards.

K-Mart was in bankruptcy and bought Sears while Sears was doing OK. Like many mergers, it was a leveraged buyout using the equity of Sears assets. It amazes me that we allow companies to be bought based on promises that the stock will go up and knowing that they will sell off assets once the merger completes.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Well, at least folks will stop buying broken Sears tools and trying to get them replaced free.....

And the price on old Craftsman tools may drop a bit.... some people seemed to think they were worth Snap-on collector prices.

It's kinda crazy, Sears should have OWNED the internet.

Sears was the store most likely to have beat Amazon to the punch, given their long history, and they never seem to have even thought about trying. They were a natural to be in there as of 20+ years ago, almost before the internet really became a "standard personal accessory". But they never did.
    Well they stopped the free tool replacement some years back! I see now that Lowes has the complete line of Craftsman mechanic tools and tool boxes, the tool section of our local Lowes building supply looks like a sears store from a few years back except they don't have the wood working tools (yet anyway).

As far as what has killed sears it was their STUPID sales strategy! In 2005 I went into Sears to buy a Craftsman lawn tractor that cost a bit over $2600, I went into the store cash in hand and they had TWO, not one but TWO of the very model I wanted sitting on the floor but I was told that those were display models and I would have to order the tractor I wanted and wait a week to ten days on the thing! Several other stores, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc had comparable tractors and I could take them home as soon as I paid for them, Sears had those two sitting there but all I was allowed to do was look at the darn things! Later that Spring I went back into the same Sears to buy a garden tiller they had on sale, I hit the same snag AGAIN! Although they had various models sitting there (again including more than one of the one I wanted) I was told AGAIN it would take a week to ten days and then I could come and pick it up, I walked out and have never bought anything from Sears again but I did stop at Tractor supply that same day and brought a new tiller home with me as soon as I paid for the thing.

The Sears I am talking about was a large store that was the center of a shopping mall, it was not a catalog center.

As far as I am concerned it's GOOD RIDDANCE, with a sales strategy as dumb as that how did they expect to stay in business?

It is too bad to see them fade out, last time I went into a Sears store it looked like a going out of business sale was going on. Lots of empty space on the shelves, open packages, and just a general unkempt look about the place.

I read an interesting commentary about how they unfortunately missed the boat on the whole on-line/internet sales thing (but then so did most everyone else), when in a way they were the Amazon of their day when they got started, bringing a wide array of product choices to remote customers anywhere and shipping them their purchases. Similar model using different technology.