Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to make a spreader bar for lifting roofing tin from a semi truck.

I friend is using his fork lift rated at 8k lbs lift capacity is going to unload the steel.I have ordered 2 20ft. 4" x 4" x .250 square tubing and other materials to make the spreader bar and will post pictures of it finished.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Quote Originally Posted by Quadra View Post
    How about asking the supplier? they probably do rooftop delivery regularly.
    Otherwise you should hire a rigger or give us more to work with...... I agree you want to use a flange ( not a tube ) and that needs to be properly secured to the handler forks.... I do not think 15 ft is going to be long enough- that leaves 7.5 feet...or 1/4 of the total load ( which has no inherent structural support ) hanging off each end of the lifting points.. how about the pallet..? usually these are designed for fully supported transport, if your material overhangs the edge the slings will crimp your edges, or, if it is not a lifting pallet- the whole thing could fold up like a taco.
    have you considered spreaders under the load? is the handler doing a straight lift or does it need to bounce over a work site? do you have a plan if the wind picks up during the lift?
    The building is a complete package minus the concrete. This is my 2nd building from them, they are the (harbor freight) of building suppliers. The first building I didn't have any issues, this time , at the time I gave the deposit they told me 8-9 weeks before I received the building. 10 days later I get a call they said it would be 12 weeks. I had a conversation with the vice president and in the end, They will not be getting ANY good reviews and not be recommending anyone purchase from them. Also their buildings don't come with an engineered concrete and re bar plans.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

So what did you do?

Did not see this soon enough, could have offered some suggestions, (but not stamped drawings).

Frankly, though, for one-off use, if you can rent, do rent.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan