Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to make a spreader bar for lifting roofing tin from a semi truck.

Default I need to make a spreader bar for lifting roofing tin from a semi truck.

The tin is 30' long and weighs 2500 lb.
    Got any educated estimates on the size of square tubing for a spreader bar to use. I'm guessing that 15' long will be good for the length.
    I've got to make it for next Monday's use.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Wow, not much help here......
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

It sounds like a sort of specialized endeavor. I can't imagine how you'd use a spreader that would include the need to know the length of the roof.

If you described how you use the spreader bar it might help???
    There is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Not too many riggers in a home shop How much bend can the roofing tin have while being moved? Can the ends touch the ground first when it's being set down? How wide is the bundle? How large of a square tube can you afford?

LOL. From the title I thought you had a semi truck with a roof made of tin. It never occurred to me that you want to unload a lot of sheet tin from the bed of a semi.

Now I know that I'm worthless to you in regard to this subject.
    There is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

If it's for one time, check out United Rentals.

https://www.unitedrentals.com/locati...n=bing-distrib
    1855 SOUTH COLE RD
    BOISE, ID 83709-2812
    208-322-6225

I've rented booms for a forklift, and other lifting devices from the branch in Detroit.
    Larry

Maybe use 50x50x5 mm mild steel box section ?
    Itīs cheap, more than strong enough, easy to weld, tap, drill, and can be used for great materials racks later.

And you can maybe pass a sling through, but polish the ends first for burrs.
    I would prefer external slings or chain.. chain could easily go through the steel sections if it is desirable.

The mass/load is low but area is large.
    Everything will bend a lot.

This done ever day
    The simple is use a 20 ft wide flange beam.
    I have lifted 33 ft panels in past on to buildings

Dave

How about asking the supplier? they probably do rooftop delivery regularly.
    Otherwise you should hire a rigger or give us more to work with...... I agree you want to use a flange ( not a tube ) and that needs to be properly secured to the handler forks.... I do not think 15 ft is going to be long enough- that leaves 7.5 feet...or 1/4 of the total load ( which has no inherent structural support ) hanging off each end of the lifting points.. how about the pallet..? usually these are designed for fully supported transport, if your material overhangs the edge the slings will crimp your edges, or, if it is not a lifting pallet- the whole thing could fold up like a taco.
    have you considered spreaders under the load? is the handler doing a straight lift or does it need to bounce over a work site? do you have a plan if the wind picks up during the lift?

Below the hook lifting devices must conform to ASME B30-20. If anyone is hurt because the device fails you are looking at fines as well as being sued for damages. The crane service you use would normally be required to provide the lifting devices. If you can't get a properly designed spreader in time forget the crane and rent 2 forklifts.
    Last edited by Illinoyance; 10-16-2018 at 10:08 PM.