Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: About that electric impact wrench, that does not work very well.

Default About that electric impact wrench, that does not work very well.

Ok, it is an Ingersoll Rand electric, half inch drive. Reversible.

Might the cam setup be worn in such a way as to make the impact action weak?

I have not taken it apart, but I may do, with the idea of discovering wear or other defects. Don't have a manual or parts list, have not found one, and actually I am not even sure how the impact action is created.

So while I assume I can figure it out, I do not know what I am looking for.

Any ideas?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

JT if the impact part of it all is "conventional" then it is not a cam, it's an offset "sprag wobble weight"

don't know how else to describe it but it allows the air rotor to get up to some speed then the wobble sprag catches and stops it connecting it's force to the 1/2" socket drive flange

my IR and cornwell "get it guns" both have grease fittings for this area as it's critical to keep lubricated...

if it worked good at one time and does not now then tear into it - your bound to see the reason why it's so lame now...

My dad used to have an Ingersoll Rand 1/2" impact back in the day. Never had it apart because it always worked well so I'm not much help in that respect but I do remember it having a long nose/snout on the anvil or hammer end much like the one in the illustration linked to below.
    Not sure if this will help but it may offer some insight into what you may have.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/im...9395)_WW_1.gif

Sorry but I did not see a parts item description to accompany this illustration.
    Last edited by Willy; 10-17-2018 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Snout, not snot...LOL
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I usually start by googling the model number. Is there one on that device? It might help locate the probable cause.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

I have googled the thing, but it must have been a bad day, 'cause I came up with squat.

I will take another look tomorrow, as it is out i the shed and I'm too lazy to go there now.

The diagram could be like it.... the whole back part gets turned to reverse direction, obviously shifting brushes.

I do not know that it ever worked "better". I wanted one, found it at a sale with a price I could stand, and bought it, after determining that it did in fact reverse, and went rat tat tat both ways. It looked as good as the FIL's, and IR is a good company usually, so.......

I actually do not know it is "bad". MY idea of what it ought to do might be not what it was designed to do, for all I know. And I cannot test it straight up against the FIL's. But I am due up there in a few weeks, so maybe I can compare them later.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 10-17-2018 at 12:29 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

FWIW here's some popular looking mechanisms that I can attest are at least on some air units iv seen

never seen a spring loaded one like in Willy's pic on an air unit so maybe Willy's is the one to follow for electric...

http://www.toku-net.co.jp/en/prd/kaim38.html

For the record - people complain about the air powered ones being noisy - iv used the electric and for one never had one as powerful as my air guns and also they may not be quite as loud but they sound like total crap - in fact im actually embarrassed using one - kinda like a POS loud toy that im trying to get to work...

air powered get it guns actually sound cool - I like to hear them once in awhile... makes me feel at home i guess...

Had to do a little spell correction on my previous post.

At any rate the 1/2" drive Ingersoll Rand electric impact that my dad had at the time, (early to mid 60's), had no issues easily removing automobile lug nuts if you need a benchmark as to what it should be capable of.
    I still have the metal tool box that it came with at the time, built like a potable safe. Even at 210 lbs I can still stand in the center of that thing and it doesn't bend. Wish I still had the impact.

Just looking around a bit I see that IR still makes several models of plug-in electric impacts that look remarkably similar to the one I remember from way back.
    Have a look at page 21 and 22 from the pdf linked to below.

http://www.poliservice.com.ar/images...%20impacto.pdf
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I found some parts diagrams for various electric impact wrenches, but not IR. Here is a Makita 6909:
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ma..._9589_311.html

Porter-Cable:
    https://www.ereplacementparts.com/po...1829_1830.html

The Makita looked very similar. Here is a cutaway view of a Black&Decker:
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 10-17-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Get a cordless.