Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No more absurdly cheap shipping from China?

Default No more absurdly cheap shipping from China?

This has been a topic on the forum before.. looks like it's over:

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...treaty-2018-10

I recently bough bought 4 2ft long titanium rods from China for 6usd with free shipping. Took a while, but got here. Nuts.

There are so many things just WRONG about your experience....

It should not have been possible.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

that's a move (I think) I'm not opposed to, as much as its nice being the beneficiary of it. He's an economic mental midget, but the postal situation does seem unfair in the agreement contemplated more less bilateral flow and I believe the the sending nations rates should not be heavily subsidized. It really is unfair to US businesses. I doubt our girly girl will do anything though so it will likely still be 'free' here.

Perhaps a slightly amusing psychological projection when the author calls it "obscure". Its not obscure, you just didn't know about it lol.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-20-2018 at 02:29 PM.

I agree with both of you.

There are so many of these antique rules on the books... they all need to be brought into this century.

Trump is right pulling out of the postal agreement. Postage from China is ridiculously low compared to postage within the US.

When I first seen it on the news I said to myself that it does indeed seem like a good move,

not too many times I get to say that nowadays...

I think it's very possible that at least in this situation with China that when all the smoke settles out we might just be standing on more level ground with them - providing things go smoothly enough and nothing escalates into complete madness which I don't rule that out...

The UPU as established by the Treaty of Bern was a solution to an interesting problem. It provided for (from wiki)

The UPU established that:

There should be a uniform flat rate to mail a letter anywhere in the world
    Postal authorities should give equal treatment to foreign and domestic mail
    Each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage.

One of the most important results of the UPU Treaty was that it ceased to be necessary, as it often had been previously, to affix the stamps of any country through which one's letter or package would pass in transit. The UPU provides that stamps of member nations are accepted for the entire international route.

Imagine the task of mailing a letter from the US To Belgium 2 hundred years ago, with no internet or computers to help you figure out the route that it would take, or the amount in stamps that each country would require.

The whole thing went sideways when the "developing countries" such as China and India became economic power houses while using first class mail for shipping goods. I suspect that sending goods to Malta or Grenada (both are about 300 sq miles) is less taxing on the local postal service than sending that same package to Nebraska which is around 1000 miles from the nearest sea port with a Post Office international service center.

From the USPS web site... About 621 million pieces of international mail entered the U.S. from foreign countries in fiscal year (FY) 2016. More than 95 percent of this mail was accepted by the U.S. Postal Service at one of its five International Service Centers (ISC) in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago. The USPS foots the bill for the 'last mile' delivery. Or maybe the last 1000 miles. Or 3000.

It makes sense to address the misuse of the system (using letter rate mail for parcels) as well as upgrading when a country is considered "emerging" as opposed to established. If the only way to do that is to withdraw from the UPU, then so be it.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    When I first seen it on the news I said to myself that it does indeed seem like a good move,

not too many times I get to say that nowadays...

I think it's very possible that at least in this situation with China that when all the smoke settles out we might just be standing on more level ground with them - providing things go smoothly enough and nothing escalates into complete madness which I don't rule that out...
    This is good news for US based junk import corporate benefits, instead of buying directly from China you have to order from Grizzbear that adds 500% to the small items price.
    Like the 160 USD Starret dial caliper that is made in china... now they can happily charge you 180 USD since less likely that you would cut the middleman

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    This is good news for US based junk import corporate benefits, instead of buying directly from China you have to order from Grizzbear that adds 500% to the small items price.
    Like the 160 USD Starret dial caliper that is made in china... now they can happily charge you 180 USD since less likely that you would cut the middleman
    Well there will be that too but keep in mind if things get too outrageous it may start making sense to actually look at what the "home country" has to offer and for how much...

Tarriff's plus 'real freight' = inflation. None of it is going to bring jobs 'back here' for free. Just more short term profits for companies and more in the govt coffers. Sure, taxes got dropped for some, but tariffs put it on as a consumption tax for the many.

Sure, if the prices rise enough then local manf might make the items, but at the "new normal" price. But to do that tarriffs have to stay and not be subject to the wims of politics.

Sure glad i've already bought everything I'll ever need
    Last edited by lakeside53; 10-20-2018 at 04:02 PM.