Thread: Need Help Plotting Circuit Board and Schematic Diagram Files

Question Need Help Plotting Circuit Board and Schematic Diagram Files

Digital Machinist articles sometimes reference electronic circuit diagrams (.sch files) and printed circuit board layouts (.pcb files) that can be downloaded from the website. I have been able to download these files but have not been able to fine a way to plot or print them.
    I have tried loading them into QCad which only resulted in an error message. I have loaded them into Autodesk EAGLE which will only display the text file; not the schematic diagram or circuit board layout.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has succeeded in working with these files.

I don't know if this helps or not but it might be worth a try. Perhaps you can open a file in TinyCad and then
    print from there...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tinycad/
    Keith

Do you have a link to a specific article?

I'm guessing you are referring to the DRO article by Blaine Geddes?

Editing to add that I did some digging through my files and found we had some problems with the files in this article. The original plan had been to offer the DXF files. However, they kind of blew up in the translation and I was forced to redo most of them. My efforts were to get them into the magazine clearly. In order to do so, I had to tweak the line weights and other things enough that the geometry was fine for making the specific files I needed to pass to our artist, but would probably take some work to use in other ways.

Because both the author and I had doubts about the usefulness of the DXF files, he supplied the .sch and .pcb files, hoping they would be readable. He had wondered about the readability though, as he uses a variety of old systems in his design. We hoped the files would be helpful, but if you can't read them in EAGLE, then maybe they aren't so much.

You can contact me at gbulliss(at)villagepress(dot)com and I'll pass along any other files I may have. While the DXF may need some work, it may be the easiest way to get what you need.
    Last edited by George Bulliss; 10-23-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    George

Free Kicad uses .SCH and .PCB files, they may have been created with it.
    When universal Gerber files are created for the board shop, there is a few Gerber viewers available if you can also get these files
    If trying Kicad, use the previous version not the current 5.5 .
    Max.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 10-23-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Could be Eagle, which is a popular program for printed wiring board layout together with schematic capture.

Jack contacted me via email and I've sent along some dxf, pdf, and tif files that, hopefully, should work for him.

If anyone else would like or need these files, contact me via the email address I provided in post #4 and I'll be happy to send them.
    George

Default Thanks to All for the help

I just wanted to thank all of you that responded to my request for help. It appears that the original circuit board file was made with Qcad and I have been able to use it to increase the trace widths and pad diameters to a proper level to use for the circuit board. Plus I'm pretty excited about KiCad. It looks like a really capable free package and I was just looking for something to occupy my time now that golfing season is over. I think I'll try doing the board over again from scratch as a project in KiCad.
    Anyway; Thanks to All.