Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Acetone alternative??

Default Acetone alternative??

I love cleaning stubborn grease/grime and stains with acetone. Is there something just as effective that won't strip/bubble-up machine paint? Mineral spirits are not as effective.

Thanks for your opinions.

Freon TF, Varsol, Agitene, etc

Xylene and toluene work well, but the stink is too obnoxious for me unless its a small job. They both trash nitrile gloves fairly quickly.

Naphtha works almost as well as lacquer thinner and acetone but doesn't attack most finishes. It has a slight oily feel but dries fast. Its a step above mineral spirits.

As Reggie mentioned, there's "near refrigerant" type solvents but the really good ones have been banished by the EPA. I still have a stash of HCFC 141-B.

You guys are awesome! - Thanks!

I use this stuff to clean any grease/grime/etc. You can mix it for more strength as needed and really cleans the grease/grime (and mouse tar) really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00103YQ88

Work hard play hard

Kerosene is surprisingly useful and will "cut" some materials that more potent solvents will not touch, for instance tape adhesive, even if it is dried out. Besides using it as a cutting fluid on aluminum I keep squirt bottles of it scattered here and there in the shop. By far, it is the most-used solvent at my place. It's relatively cheap, too. It evaporates slowly and leaves little residue.

We had no electricity where I grew up; so, our world was lighted with kerosene lamps and at times, heated with kerosene.
    So many projects. So little time.

I usually use either mineral spirits or preferably Simple Green to cut the first coat of grime and oil and then a second wipedown with denatured alcohol to get the final bit of oil film and to help dry it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    Kerosene is surprisingly useful and will "cut" some materials that more potent solvents will not touch, for instance tape adhesive, even if it is dried out. Besides using it as a cutting fluid on aluminum I keep squirt bottles of it scattered here and there in the shop. By far, it is the most-used solvent at my place. It's relatively cheap, too. It evaporates slowly and leaves little residue.
    I was just about to suggest WD-40 for the same cleaning purposes; it works a lot like straight kerosene and a lot of people have it already. Either one cleans a little differently than acetone, but works very well for grease and grime. It'll take the nasty stuff off and leave the paint on your mill or lathe looking like new (well, as good as it can look anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
    I'll second the recommendation about keeping kerosene around the shop. I also buy gallons of D Limonene (you can get it from Amazon, eBay, or search the web to find it to buy direct). It's an eye watering $60/gallon, but you can put about 20% in kerosene to make a good cleaning agent. I use old WD-40 hand pump spray bottles to hold the mixture. I also use the limonene direct when the grime is really stubborn.

I also use kerosene as a carrier for oils... I dissolve about 10 to 15% vasoline in kerosene to get a spray that I can apply to parts to help provide some long term protection. The kerosene evaporates and leaves a thin coat of vasoline on the surface. I also have a spray bottle with a 5% honey oil, 10% vasoline and 10% white wax mixture in kerosene. When the kerosene evaporates it leaves a much more durable coating. I use that for stuff that is going to get stored.