Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: First try with 8"X 1/2" slitting saw,I have questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Quill is 5" in diameter and is heavier than it looks,removed it when I was refurbishing it, just about dropped a testicle trying to lift it.When it was removed you could see the bevel gears in the head very stout,I have seen lighter gears in Ag Gear Boxes that were rated for 250 HP.
    The smaller CNC version Värnamo with CVT transmission specifies 425 Nm max torque for the 40-taper vertical spindle.
    Your horizontal spindle is ISO50 15 hp gear-driven and I wouldn't be suprised if it was designed to handle full power and some more on lowest 40 rpm gear.. That would be 2600 Nm torque, no wonder if the gears are automotive differential sized
    That beast also had originally 2.2kW motor for the feeds alone.
    15hp cut at 40rpm would be like stack of 10 8"x½" cutting simultaneously with 10 times the feed rate you used

TundrsTwinTrack: That is a fine looking mill. I have been on Cincinnati's and Kearney & Treckers, but never ran across a Varnamo. I would like to caution you on finding a bit of rust after chips sitting overnite(post #47). That is a sign, that the coolant is a bit thin on the mix ratio. This can cause rust on the mill table under things like vises or parts that have been clamped down for several days. Most coolants need at least 5 percent or stronger on the mix to prevent rust.
    This has been an interesting thread, since you broke almost every rule in the book and got by with it. My hat is off to you, on your good luck. Good luck.

Sarge41

Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    ...This has been an interesting thread, since you broke almost every rule in the book and got by with it...
    A lot of people have commented on the idea that he got lucky making that cut and while there may be an element of luck
    in the final outcome I think most of it has to do with the sheer mass of the machine. It is massive! At 7500 lbs. it has 3 to 4
    times the mass of your average bridgeport or import clone. That mass translates directly into rigidity which is what allowed
    him to make the cut the way he did. When you stand beside the mill it just exudes and air of size and rigidity. If I remember
    correctly the top of that motor is very close to 96 inches in height.

While he may have had an element of luck in what he did I think that what Dale has mostly is just a damned fine machine...
    Keith

sorry guys I'm just getting hung up on the fact that TTT's testicles haven't dropped yet. Might want to see a doctor about that

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    The smaller CNC version Värnamo with CVT transmission specifies 425 Nm max torque for the 40-taper vertical spindle.
    Your horizontal spindle is ISO50 15 hp gear-driven and I wouldn't be suprised if it was designed to handle full power and some more on lowest 40 rpm gear.. That would be 2600 Nm torque, no wonder if the gears are automotive differential sized
    That beast also had originally 2.2kW motor for the feeds alone.
    15hp cut at 40rpm would be like stack of 10 8"x½" cutting simultaneously with 10 times the feed rate you used
    Thanks MattiJ that's a lot of calculations .
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge41 View Post
    TundrsTwinTrack: That is a fine looking mill. I have been on Cincinnati's and Kearney & Treckers, but never ran across a Varnamo. I would like to caution you on finding a bit of rust after chips sitting overnite(post #47). That is a sign, that the coolant is a bit thin on the mix ratio. This can cause rust on the mill table under things like vises or parts that have been clamped down for several days. Most coolants need at least 5 percent or stronger on the mix to prevent rust.
    This has been an interesting thread, since you broke almost every rule in the book and got by with it. My hat is off to you, on your good luck. Good luck.

Sarge41
    Thanks for the Tip on coolant I will have strengthen the mixture.
    Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    A lot of people have commented on the idea that he got lucky making that cut and while there may be an element of luck
    in the final outcome I think most of it has to do with the sheer mass of the machine. It is massive! At 7500 lbs. it has 3 to 4
    times the mass of your average bridgeport or import clone. That mass translates directly into rigidity which is what allowed
    him to make the cut the way he did. When you stand beside the mill it just exudes and air of size and rigidity. If I remember
    correctly the top of that motor is very close to 96 inches in height.

While he may have had an element of luck in what he did I think that what Dale has mostly is just a damned fine machine...
    Ya Keith I got a little lucky with this one, the Beast saved my bacon.Another feature that I like with Ram extended Swing is at 68".
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    sorry guys I'm just getting hung up on the fact that TTT's testicles haven't dropped yet. Might want to see a doctor about that
    Testicles haven't dropped yet but I think my mouth did when the scrap dealer I was standing by at the Auction bought this thing for $35.I gave him $500 the next day for it and we were both happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Try KBC, they will be pricey..
    I ordered some Ken Forge made in USA 4" goose neck clamps from KBC $7.05 cdn. Was shocked they were that price,will see how they work.
    Thanks for tip!

Yeah that great, i was thimking they carried them from Armstrong..
    And that name there can make you walk funny after you but something.,

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Yeah that great, i was thimking they carried them from Armstrong..
    And that name there can make you walk funny after you but something.,
    They do carry Armstrong, little bit of price difference

8" Goose Neck Clamp
    Armstrong 3.93 lbs. $109.17
    Ken Forge 3.80 lbs. $18.91

I think both Made in USA

Ken Forge bought someone out and renamed the company. I think Youtuber Abom spoke of this in one of his shaper video's.

I looked at the clamping arrangement in the first pic and thought it was somewhat inadequate, not even an end stop.