Thread: Cheap tig welder

Default Cheap tig welder

I have a miller 185 SD that died I have been told it may or not be fixable For about $500 The main board is bad looks like this is a common problem with this machine. So I have been looking at cheap tig welders like the AHP 200 at $800 and the Harbor fri Valcon anyone here have one of these and would you buy one again thanks. I have looked at some of the reviews on You tube and the one to buy looks like the AHP Thanks ken

There are a couple reviews of the Vulcan Tig on YouTube. Take them with a grain of salt of course. I've heard there were some transition in MFG issues for AHP, but supposedly everything is all fixed now. I seem to recall the AHP and the Eastwood machines were very similar according to one reviewer. No first hand experience myself, btu I have been researching TIG machines for a couple years now. I want an AC/DC pulse machine for my shop. There are to many jobs I want to do in aluminum that are a struggle with my 212 and spool gun. Right at the edge of possible, and even outside the specs for the machine. LOL.

I like the specs on the Lincoln Squarewave 200. AC/DC Pulse Tig Stick, but at 1500 retail its a bit much. On the flip side of that my local welding supply shop (the one I like, Prxair) the local manager told me he'd give me a good discount when I was ready to buy. I buy all my welding gas and some of my consumables from him, and when I sold off a bunch of bottles I let everybody know Praxair wouldn't give them any crap to exchange for whatever type bottle they needed. He knows I send business his way. That I don't just say it. On top of that they are a warranty store, so if I have a problem I can drop it off and he will call me when its fixed. Maybe that is of some value to you. It can't hurt to check the local shops and see what they sell. May be worth some of your time anyway.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I have the AHP 200. One of the early models, it's worked well for the last 4 years or so. I use it for TIG on aluminum and steel. While it does do SMAW (stick) I don't use it that way yet.

The newest models use fairly standard connectors so you can swap out the stinger with one of your favorite brand.

After looking at the Lincoln and Miller warranties, I'd rather spend 1/2 the money for an AHP or even HF. The red and blue warranties run out real soon and the repair costs can be as much as the cost for the better low cost units.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

The AHP has a 60% duty cycle compared to the HF Vulcan that is 25%, thats a BIG difference !

You got me looking again. Sans pulse (it doesn't have it) the Eastwood Tig 200 is a smoking price for an AC/DC machine. I might just have to beg the old lady for some early Christmas money.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I was where you are a year ago. I was ready to pull the trigger on the Vulcan ProTIG 200 when I discovered the AHP AlphaTIG 200x. I'm still impressed. I can't say that I've worked it hard, but it's done everything I've asked, including aluminum, S/S and mild steel. It's more welder than I am weldor.
    It's all mind over matter.
    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

I have the Lincoln Square Wave 200, and the Everlast 210. I love my Everlast!! but it's twice the price of the Vulcan. I'm weary of a 800 dollar welder. My dream welder is a Miller Dynasty 280!