Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheap tig welder

I recently purchased a Lotos 200 amp 3-1 setup: tig, plasma and stick. Love it. DC only, but the plasma cutter is the bomb. Thing also burns 7018 like butter.

Came with foot pedal and all. Around $600 delivered

Quote Originally Posted by Dedave View Post
    I recently purchased a Lotos 200 amp 3-1 setup: tig, plasma and stick. Love it. DC only, but the plasma cutter is the bomb. Thing also burns 7018 like butter.

Came with foot pedal and all. Around $600 delivered
    That would be nice, as long as it is not like a 3 in one lathe/mill/drill..... kinda almost works for each one....

How thick does it do for plasma?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    The LWS places here, could care less about the Joe Average coming in to purchase for his homeshop. They sell more to one commercial account in 1/2 a day then to all the Joe and Bob homeshop folks in a year.

I used to get good prices when I was employed by a big commercial company not any more since retired. The new Harbor Freight welders in the last 2 years have taken a big leap forward. I have Vulcan MiG and its just as good the Millers and others I have owned and 1/2 the price or less. That AHP looks interesting!
    You know I had that experience with welding supply shops for a long time. Didn't give a damn about my business and treated me like an imposition. Then one day a buddy of mine told me I should check out the local Praxair shop and "TALK TO MIKE." I had actually written off the shop because the last time I'd been there a fellow behind the counter spent 20 minutes fumbling around with the computer not finding the parts I needed to repair my welder, and finally asked me to come back later. Well, I went in one day and talked to Mike. I always tried to buy a few things irrespective of price, and of course always made like price was important. I also talked to Mike. Mike turned out to be a local guy and the store manager. We got along and most of the guys who work there saw I was friendly with Mike, but I didn't blow them off when Mike wasn't in. I dealt with them and learned their names. Whoever was there. They all pretty much treat me good, and I almost never pay the first column pricing. When I sold off a bunch of gas bottle left over from when my dad closed his hardware store I talked to the guys there and made sure people wouldn't have any trouble trading an owner bottle they bought from me for any type bottle they needed. Then in my ads on Facebook and Craigslist I listed to take the bottle to Praxair and trade it for whatever they needed. The guys at Praxair saw that I was promoting them as much as they were helping me. Now I get treated pretty decent by anybody in the store. On some things I might only get the best deal from Mike, but I don't go in, ask for Mike, and leave if he isn't there. I'm not a big welding customer for them either. Very small. I think I've bought 30 (maybe 50) lbs of MIG wire, a couple pairs of gloves, a chipping hammer, a few pounds of stainless TIG wire, a few misc repair parts, and refilled a couple gas bottles. I don't have to jump through hoops, negotiate, or sign a contract to get a decent price on gas either.

Maybe you should visit your local welding shops and TALK TO MIKE. LOL. Might take a couple visits to find out what Mike's name is in your local shops, but its worth it.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    That would be nice, as long as it is not like a 3 in one lathe/mill/drill..... kinda almost works for each one....

How thick does it do for plasma?
    On my first try, I knawed off 1" steel plate and 1/2" aluminum. It struggled with both of them. The plasma really shines on thin stuff, where the gas axe is a bit more fussy. Once I get a bit more hours on it, it probably will get better cuts at the max thicknesses. Might need a better compressor too.

The tig could use some more adjustment features, but works OK. I tried some real thin stainless with it and struggled, it wouldn't turn down low enough for that operation. But the arc starts easy and fast, amazingly good on all three processes.

I'd give the plasma a 9.5 (could use a better gun), the arc a 10 and the tig an 8. Consumables are cheap and easy to find. Of course this is considering a medium duty rig.
    Last edited by Dedave; 12-18-2018 at 12:40 AM.