Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Machinist tooling

Default New Machinist tooling

Hello everyone, I'm starting my first home machine shop (hobby purposes only) and I'm starting from ground zero. You see I wasn't a machinist in my past life but I'd like to live out the next 30 or so years becoming a machinist in my shop. With that said, I'm buying decent equipment, used where I can find it, new when I have to. I am going with full size machines but the big machines seem to be the easy part. There are only so many manufacturers of lathes, mills, and saws and if you decide to eliminate the Chinese variants than whittles down the list even further. It's the tooling that I'm a bit lost on. Now I figure that I'll be buying a lot of tooling that is specific to a certain job at first and I'm okay with that. So here's my question...

What tooling should every shop own? I'd go a step further and say; what "in general" does every machine shop need? I know these two questions can go in vastly different ways as one is specific to tooling and the other can encompass everything from a short screwdriver and 6" scale to micrometers and surface plates.

I guess, what i mean to ask is; if you were me, what tooling, instruments, and items should I have in my shop when my lathe, mill, saw, etc... drive and I want to start making something?

Thanks,

C4W

P.S. I have a machinists handbook, and I'm scheduled to take some classes in the spring so you don't have to start there...

For a mill, a good vise, boring heads some form of collets or collet chuck drill chuck, endmills, a face mill, wil, get you started.
    Then you need more.
    A good Indicator or several, and a mag base and a clamp to attach DTI to spindle. Clamping kit. Good assortment of drills (also used in lathe ) and more.

Attending a few auctions can be good, .. don't expect a miracle every time though..
    Last edited by 754; 11-07-2018 at 10:23 PM.

I'm in the same boat as you but I have started about yr or so ago but since then I have been collecting a few things.Dial calipers and digital calipers but the cheap ones.I have dial indicator w/mag base but its not good so I am in market for another.I wanted to gear up using carbide inserts but thats a big learning curve there also.But I do have some for my AXA and BXA QCTP which takes the 1/2 and I believe the 5/8 tool holders.But over little time I am discovering that machinist can't live by inserts along.They also needs HSS cutting tools which you grind and sharpen yourself so your looking at grinders,belt sanders that is made for that.I did purchase from Shars tool holders set and boring bar set.You will need live center,drill chuck and some good drill bits and taps.This is just the tip,like I was told was buy what you need as you go which is a good suggestion

I would suggest a good quality quick change tool post for your lathe.

Here's a list of what I have ready to order:
    All that's listed is new as I'm sort of leery about buying used precision instruments.

Starrett 9-12-4R 12-Inch Quick Read Combination Square Set with Cast Iron Head
    Starrett 3" and 8" spring type dividers
    Nicholson 6 piece file set
    Mitutoyo 1/2"-6" telescoping gage set
    Starrett 6" scale
    Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper
    Starrett 7 piece center punch set
    Mitutoyo 0-4" depth micrometer set
    Mitutoyo .200" edge finder
    Mitutoyo 0-1" Uni-Mike
    Mitutoyo 0-1" digital Micrometer
    Mitutoyo 0-1" dial indicator
    Mighty Mag base
    Noga DG61003 Magnetic dial holder
    Starrett 1/16"-5/16" drive pin punch set
    Mitutoyo 1" V block set
    2 sets of 1, 2, 3 blocks
    Starrett 12" Precision Machinists level
    3/32"-1" 61 piece transfer punch set (actually 2 sets, 33 in one 28 in the other)
    Noga Multi-Burr deburring tool
    Brown & Sharpe thread measuring wire set
    4 different sets of thread pitch gauges all Starrett
    Class ZZ 0.061-0.250 and 0.251-0.500" steel pin gauge set "Minus"
    Accusize 81 piece gauge block set
    Anytime tools angle block set

I will also be adding a quick change tool post but I'm waiting to see if I buy new or used
    I would also like a KURT DX6 mill vise

Is there stuff that I'm missing? Can I go with an off brand on some of these things listed, or should I stick with the "name brands". Do I have things listed that I can wait on?

Lastly, and probably most importantly, notably missing is any and all tooling....

Some of you have mentioned drill bits and tap sets, the issue I have is that a quick search of the internet will give me drill bit sets that range from $10-$2000 and the same with tap sets, so if you could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

If you are looking at used machines, they will often come with a fair complement of tooling. There is also the Cabin Fever Expo coming up in Lebanon, PA, in January. If you can attend, you will find many vendors with new and used tooling and machines, and also consignment shops and auctions. I'm fortunate to be within easy driving distance (~100 miles), but it's still maybe a long day's drive from GA. You might find someone else near you to share driving. You might check the Model Engine Maker website as many of them attend.

You may wish to buy USA made products, but thereare some excellent (or at least passably good) Chinese tooling from such as Banggood and AliExpress. And there are often some pretty good lot sales on eBay and Craig's List.

Welcome to the wacky world of Metal Madness!

I never bought a tap set for standard, but I have a cheap metric set.
    I got some taps at auction or with other tool buys, then I filled innthe gaps by getting good taps as I needed them.
    Cheap taps can cost you more grief than its worth.
    If you are buying every thing on the list new, it will be a hefty bill. Used should be about .6 or less.

I've been doing this as a hobby for a long time and I see a few things on your list that I have never needed.

2 sets of spring dividers, I have several used sets of these and I don't remember ever using any of them.
    2 sets of 1-2-3 blocks again I have several used sets of them and have never used more than 1 block at a time.
    Starrett 12" Precision Level I've never owned one of these and don't know that I ever needed one.
    Steel pin gauge set. I have a used partial set, but I've yet to use any of them.
    81 piece gauge block set. Again I have a used partial set and maybe have used them a couple of times in 20 some years, but I bet if I didn't have them I would have figured a way around the problem.

It looks like you have got a good plan and the above is just what I have found over the years.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

I did come across this lot of "tooling" It took me a couple of looks to realize that this stuff is sitting on a treadmill (for size reference). I can get the lot for $350