Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: are all BXA tool holders created equal?

Default are all BXA tool holders created equal?

Hello all, we have a lathe at work that came with a chungoo forge wedge type tool holder. Its not a Dorian but it is perfectly functional for our needs. I need to add a few more tool holders and need to know if I can buy some as available and have a reasonable chance of them fitting the tool holder. (it really is a no name holder, pretty sure of chinese or taiwanese origin , good fit and finish and locks up tight) Any advice or sources would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Pretty sure any 250-2xx series toolholder will do the job fine.

Since none of us have ever seen a chugoo forge brand, it's a crapshoot as to whether it conforms to the BXA dimensions. If it said BXA on the box or on your existing equipment you should be good with Sun God's advice.

The wedge style should be pretty forgiving since the wedge expands within the dovetail. If the dovetails are a touch too far apart or a little shallow it should still work.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Just buy 1 and see if it fits, then go from there...

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

I have import toolholders in both AXA and BXA sizes. I see no difference in performance compared to US made toolholders. The Aloris style toolposts are not super critical on the dimensions of the toolholder. The wedge draws the toolhoder tight to the face and to the dovetail in spite of some dimensional variation in the toolholder. The setscrews on the import toolholders are junk and need to be replaced.

People ask me why I am so damned grumpy. I am old. It is my job.

chungoo forge=any generic offshore brand...

Yes, BXA holders are pretty much universal with the dovetail dimensions.
    I've purchased several 'Cheapies' from the CDCO Company online, and haven't had any 'fit' issues with any of them.
    The super-soft set screws are another story however.

Quote Originally Posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
    Yes, BXA holders are pretty much universal with the dovetail dimensions.
    I've purchased several 'Cheapies' from the CDCO Company online, and haven't had any 'fit' issues with any of them.
    The super-soft set screws are another story however.
    I bought AXA holders from CDCO last February and the setscrews were just fine.

When it comes to tool post and holders a couple thou on the dove tail or flats of the tool holder can make a huge difference in where the locking handle ends up when locked.
    This is one of my biggest complaints with them.
    I have an Aloris BXA and a few tool holders that are shy a couple thou somewhere and the result is where the handle ends up when locked. It's a PIA when the handle ends up in the six o-clock position hitting you in the stomach.
    If Aloris can't control the tolerance of their products I highly doubt any aftermarket copies will mate any better.

JL.....

I have bought 6 or 7 BXA tool holders from Shars just 2 months ago to fit my Phase II wedge toolpost. I have to agree with JoeLee here - the tolerances on the post and holders are critical to establish the post handle position when locked. Shars website is no help in this respect. An email to them did not bring the answers either.

So I decided to take my chances and buy the holders. The result - they are a perfect fit to the post, all of them have the same locked handle position. Even the screws are serviceable. Shars holders are rather long, longer than many from other places. Not sure if it is a good or bad thing...