Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what chuck do you use everyday on your lathe?

Default So what chuck do you use everyday on your lathe?

Since we have a 3 jaw chuck thread going and it sounds they aren't accurate. So do you folks use a 4 jaw everyday ( like Adam Booth) and indicate your work in them? Do you use collets, or is the 3 jaw good enough?

I had a Victor 10 inch in my 16 inch swing lathe. 2 pcs jaws.
    Spun something hard in it once, had to grind them. Used it for 27 years and it is still quite accurate.
    I would say rare to put something in it and get 4 or 5 thou runout..
    I have a Pratt Burners 5 inch on my 9 in Southbendm it's pretty true as well.

I have a good 3 jaw and like to use it. Its pretty equal in my shop, 3 jaw, 4jaw, collets.

I use the chuck that fits the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Clarke View Post
    I have a good 3 jaw and like to use it. Its pretty equal in my shop, 3 jaw, 4jaw, collets.
    Same with me

3 jaw for most things. Break out the 4 jaw for critical parts where I need to dial them in, or odd shaped parts.
    Andy

4 jaw or 5C with a Bison collet chuck. I have a 3 jaw for each of my lathes but have not used one for 20 years. It might be the type of work I do or it just might be my stubborn Viking and Scots heritage.

Faceplate, dead centre and bent dogs...

Most things done between centres. Maximum accuracy and can be pulled off to test fit without dialing in again.

4-jaw with an ER32 chuck mounted & dialed in 90% of the time. Chuck in a chuck, yuck, yuck.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

the four jaw lives on the 16 inch with a three jaw under the bench and a Rubber Flex system in the cabinet with the soft top jaws. Those big chucks are HEAVY!
    A Three jaw lives on the 12 inch lathe with an ER collet face plate in the cabinet with the four jaw and and the 5C set. (That three jaw is very accurate for some reason)

The spindle mount 5C is just about the only tooling mounted to the Wade 94 bench lathe, though I have a 6 inch direct mount three jaw, and a little three jaw (outside jaws) fitted to a 5C plug for those large disc requirements. I've got an assortment of 5C pot chucks and machinable and expanding 5C collets to meet most special needs.

It's good to have a choice!
    Last edited by CalM; 11-09-2018 at 10:41 PM.