Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you think it's worth?

Default How much do you think it's worth?

I just saw this lathe on craigslist, and am wondering what you guys would pay for it?

I think that since it's almost 20 years old, and even with the goodies, that it's only worth $2000.00 at best.

What are your thoughts?

Not that much.... they are $6500 or so new...... and that one is nearly 20 years old.

https://www.southern-tool.com/store/...40gh_lathe.php

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

How much is a Ford F-150 worth?

Anyway, I would offer the guy $2500.

metalmagpie

On the easy coast, it probably is not worth very much considering a really nice Nardini 1440 with DRO + tooling recently sold for $1900 at auction.

https://bid.josephfinn.com/cgi-bin/m...gi?jfinn94/147
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    How much is a Ford F-150 worth?

metalmagpie
    Scrap metal. I don't want one. To you? Maybe more, if you do.

"Worth" is the wrong question, really... "Worth" is both emotional and situational/very local. What is a pistol (loaded) worth when the murderer is 10 feet away? What is the same pistol worth at the store? What is it worth (unloaded) if it was your father's in the war?

The right question is "what do things like this go for?".

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

A buddy just paid I think 4,000 Can for one like this .
    Owned by a machinist , it wax well tooled and had a lot of precision goodies with it.
    And a VFD setup, which to me seemed like a lot of wiring components etc.
    2 QCTP , at least one was new everything in good shape. So he pzid about 3k for it.

Now he has an old 20 inch Standard Modern, and a really smooth SouthBend 9 that he had for ever.
    Back to the lathe he is not really that happy with it, said it's ok , but if something else came along, he may sell it.

I looked at the threading on it, it seems it will only do groups of threads, then a gear change is needed. Sort of like 6 or more changes to get thru the range... so still change gears often..

So I think what you plan on using it for, would play big into your decision.
    Last edited by 754; 11-12-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Yeah about half of what the seller is asking.

I don't what he's asking in that listing. I paid 4500 for my 14 40 grizzly, brand new 2 years ago. He doesn't have much tooling for it either. If I was looking at it, I would offer no more then 2k, after inspecting it thoroughly. Anymore then that then I would wait for something else.
    My recommendation?

No matter what I tell you, get a second opinion.

How heavily it has been used/condition is far more of a factor than the age and that one looks barely used (and well cared for). It has all the basic stuff you would expect, plus some - and a stand, it is ready to make parts without fixing anything, it is under power so you can run it through its paces, and the Birminghams seem to have a fair reputation for Asian lathes.
    Good used is often priced about half of new, and if you factor in that he is probably 'fishing' a bit with the price, I don't think he is all that far off for an 'asking' price. I am not sure how plentiful machines are in your area (Boomer can chime in here) and machine pricing varies drastically by locale, but I think 2k would probably be a great deal, and as much as 3k, an OK one. If you really need it and it meets your needs, and this is what lathes go for there, then adjust up accordingly.