Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Design and build Side-shaft hit and miss from barstock

on the gears, Brian, I've seen you post at the model engine forum - did you see George's posts on making Chuck Fellows helical gear thingamabob? Its very clever and very home shop doable.

I think Brian's point is that many have no desire to "make a fairly complex thing that will help me make a small part of the actual project".

I can totally see that. Still, $101 for that "small part" is substantial. I made a setup for doing bevel gears, to avoid buying a single part from Clausing that would have cost about $125. Of course I also wanted to see if I could make them, independent of the repair project I needed the gear for. Doing it for the repair covered both.

I don't recall the posts, I will have to look them up if they were here. If they were elsewhere, I am not a member there.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Mcgyver--You have more faith in me than I do. I looked at Georges helical gear method of making helical gears, and I looked at Chuck Fellows method. They both looked very clever, and worked fine. I just don't think I'm a good enough machinist to make them.--and---If I sell plans to this engine, I think most folks would prefer a "spend the money for helical gears" solution to a "figure out how to make helical gears" solution.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Mcgyver--You have more faith in me than I do.
    I have no doubt you could do it, you've been posting for years solving puzzles and that's just one more. Always good to remind ourselves even the most complicated bit of machining is a just a series of simple little steps. Buying's good to, but I don't believe its because you couldn't make them

You might want to consider bevel gears. You could cut them yourself if you desire.

And as it unwinds--the part numbers I got from Craig DeShong are for straight tooth bevel gears, not helical gears. I think he may have mistakenly given me part numbers for the governor gears on his engine, not the helical gears. The prices I gave in an earlier post were for straight tooth bevel gears, not helical gears.--I will still probably have to buy those gears, as I do intend to have a governor on the new engine I design. DeBolt has a set of helical gears with the right ratio and a reasonable size, but I can't reach anybody at DeBolt.--I sent DeBolt 3 emails yesterday and they were all answered with an email from Paul at DeBolt with no message nor attachment. I called them this morning and left a message, but I can't do much now until I hear back from them. I don't even want to start the design of the engine till I get these gears figured out.
    Brian Rupnow

We're good!!! I just got a phone call from Paul Debolt at Debolt Machine and he is still in business and plans on staying in business. I ordered the helical gears from him, and I also ordered the "Martin" straight tooth bevel gears that will run the governor from the Canadian company I was dealing with. I won't do anymore design work until I have these gears in my hands. --Brian
    Brian Rupnow

I bought the two bevel gears because I like the style of governor used on the Bob Herder side shaft engine currently being built by Craig DeShong. I want to marry that style of governor to the circular cam disc as used on the Silver Angel engine. This will let my cylinder head be much closer to a "conventional" style of cylinder head rather than having to assemble two piece valves inside the cylinder head as Craig has done. I haven't put a lot of thought into just how I will do that yet, but I think it will be possible.

Brian Rupnow

I am going to try and use a CM10 sparkplug on this engine because they are available at any autoparts store. Anything smaller is generally more expensive and can only be ordered from specialty suppliers. With a 1" cylinder, I'm sure I can make it fit, because I have three or four other 1" bore engines, and there is just enough room in the cylinder head for two 3/8" diameter valve heads and the 10 mm sparkplug.
    Brian Rupnow

After watching many more videos of full size "Domestic Stovepipe" engines, thigs are beginning to come clearer. The Domestic Stovepipe engines have a circular disc cam, similar to the cam on the Silver Angel. It has a really nice governor set-up which rides on one flywheel and connects to the exhaust valve lockout lever with a long pushrod. The beauty of this style of governor is that you don't have to shell out any cash for miter gears to run the governor shaft. On the Bob Herder hit and miss engine like Craig DeShong is building, the sideshaft, running at 1/2 of the crankshaft speed has a conventional shaped cam to run the exhaust valve. The problem with that is that the pivot point of the rocker arm is rotated 90 degrees from "normal", which leads to a really strange cylinder head into which the valves must be assembled in pieces.---and--It costs an extra hundred dollars for bevel bears to run the governor shaft. However--It looks really neat, with the exposed governor setting up on the side of the engine.
    Brian Rupnow