Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Design and build Side-shaft hit and miss from barstock

So without worrying about scale too much, we want a model of the Bob Herder hit and miss governor pivoting an exhaust valve lockout mechanism similar to that used on the Domestic Stovepipe engine. This will do it. That green colored link will have to have a spherical rod end on the right hand end to let things move without binding.

Brian Rupnow

This is an interesting model. I have remodelled the sideshaft governor to the correct size, and just for the heck of it positioned it in the approximate place it would go on the "Odds and Ends" hit and miss engine. The "odds and ends" engine has a 1" bore and 1 3/8" stroke, same as the sideshaft engine I will be designing. The side-shaft engine flywheels will be 6" diameter instead of the 5" on the Odds and ends engine, but all in all its fairly close to the same size. The governor doesn't "overwhelm" the engine visually.
    Brian Rupnow

Since I don't have my gears yet, the only part of the engine available to work on is the governor, which I now have modelled to scale. Nice rotary table work doing the very top part. I'm having a devil of a time to get a good picture. With shop lights off, its too dark, but not dark enough for the flash to work. With both spotlights focused on the part it all washes out. This is the third try with my camera.
    Brian Rupnow

This morning I made up a pair of filing buttons. If you have heard of filing buttons and weren't sure what they are---I have to file a nice radius on both ends of the governor top. If it was a big piece, I would free-hand it on my big stationary belt sander. Being such a small piece, I wouldn't be able to do that and have it come out looking right. So--filing buttons are made up from 01 steel, having the correct outer diameter and center hole and flame hardened. They are assembled as you see in the picture with a piece of the correct diameter shaft (.093" in this case.) Now when I file the radii on the aluminum governor cap, the hardened filing buttons will stop me from cutting too deep with my file and ending up with wonky looking radii on the aluminum part.
    Brian Rupnow

And here we have the finished governor top. You can see the radius that is filed on both ends, where the cross holes are. It isn't perfect, but it's light-years beyond what I could have done freehand. I have a tin can where I keep all of my filing buttons as I make them. They can be used again and again without damage, because they are very very hard after the flame heat treatment.
    Brian Rupnow

Is it just me, or are the pictures totally missing in Brian's last few posts?

It's just you. They show up fine on my computer.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Is it just me, or are the pictures totally missing in Brian's last few posts?
    The pictures are visible to me.

Yep, it's just you. Show up fine here.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The brass governor parts are very small, way smaller than my comfort level. I chose to make my governor weights from pieces that are machined, then silver soldered together. This of course required me to make a "one time use" welding fixture to position the parts for silver soldering. After the soldering is done, I may have to cut it apart to free the components, that is why it is a "one time use' jig. The solid brass ring will be cut into four pieces, two of which are silver soldered to the "pivot ears" and two which will become scrap.

Brian Rupnow