Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Design and build Side-shaft hit and miss from barstock

I'm having a very "cranky" morning. You can only buy 1144 stress-proof steel in rounds. It doesn't come in flatbar.-So--I have the length of round stock clamped down and am flattening one side of it. I didn't want to cut the side off in the bandsaw, because my bandsaw has no fence. I have to take off 0.5" of material, and am taking 0.015" depth of cut at 500 rpm. I have taken 0.300" off in theis picture, and have 0.200 left to go. This is one of the few times I think about having a powered axis in the X plane. Once I get this side finished, I was going to flip the part over and do the other side in the mill, but after all the cranking I've been doing, I think I will make up a fixture and bandsaw most of the other side away.
    Brian Rupnow

I put the X axis power feed on mine about the same time I put the DRO on and really glad I did. I'm getting some arthritis creeping into a few joints from time to time so not having to hang onto a crank for long periods of time is great. You also get a better finish on your cuts because of the even feed speed. On a job like that I would set the stops then you can let her go and just watch or go a do something else until you here it stop then go and send it back the other way.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I'm having a very "cranky" morning. You can only buy 1144 stress-proof steel in rounds. It doesn't come in flatbar.-So--I have the length of round stock clamped down and am flattening one side of it. I didn't want to cut the side off in the bandsaw, because my bandsaw has no fence. I have to take off 0.5" of material, and am taking 0.015" depth of cut at 500 rpm. I have taken 0.300" off in theis picture, and have 0.200 left to go. This is one of the few times I think about having a powered axis in the X plane. Once I get this side finished, I was going to flip the part over and do the other side in the mill, but after all the cranking I've been doing, I think I will make up a fixture and bandsaw most of the other side away.
    https://imageshack.com/a/img921/926/O0Bi23.jpg
    I might have chosen smaller end mill and take a deeper cut?
    Maybe 8mm or 10mm solid carbide, 1/4" DOC and maybe total 8 passes instead of 33 passes.

Not sure how much the "small imports" can handle, my 1/3HP Aciera can handle only 6mm endmill at 6mm DOC.

Matti---I was using a 1.5" diameter inserted face mill. Going was easy at first because the piece I was cutting was round.--but the deeper I cut, the wider the area to be machined got. The area being machined grew to almost 1 1/2" wide, and my mill was starting to groan a little on the last few cuts. I used the face mill because it was wide enough to cover the total width. If I had used a smaller diameter cutter, it would have meant even more cranking back and forth.
    Brian Rupnow

HAH!!! Old age and treachery and a bandsaw wins again. My bandsaw is slower than the second coming, but is still faster than milling all that material away. Now back to the milling machine for the final dressing.
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    We're good!!! I just got a phone call from Paul Debolt at Debolt Machine and he is still in business and plans on staying in business. I ordered the helical gears from him, and I also ordered the "Martin" straight tooth bevel gears that will run the governor from the Canadian company I was dealing with. I won't do anymore design work until I have these gears in my hands. --Brian
    There is always BERG GEARS, they have a great selection of almost any kind of gear you can think of.

https://www.wmberg.com

So here we are, with the 1 5/8" round of 1144 stress proof flattened on both sides and countersink holes drilled in each end for lathe centers. I have a rather sketchy machinists clamp with a bolt tapped into it for a drive dog, and the con rod journal turned to 0.502" diameter. Next step will be to glue a spacer into the gap, saw away as much waste material as I can, then turn the other diameters.
    Brian Rupnow

This is the point at which you really, really want to be sure what part stays and what part gets sawn off and discarded. You will also see the spacer glued into the gap that was opened in the previous step.
    Brian Rupnow

It's been a long day, but a worthy one. The one piece crankshaft turned out fine. I still have to trim the ends to get rid of the counterbores, and put the keyways in, but that will be for tomorrow.
    Brian Rupnow

Looks very good.

Evidently gluing the spacer works well. I would have thought it would be loosened up by vibration and flexing, I am glad to see it works. I have yet to try a one-piece, and most people say to put in an adjustable spacer that is apparently only held by friction, which never seemed like a good approach.

I like the glued spacer idea much better, and you just showed that it works nicely!

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan