Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: what are your ideas on those nonspill oil cups, shop made of course

Red face what are your ideas on those nonspill oil cups, shop made of course

I want to make one, would be nice to see some pics of yours and maybe if someone has drawings too. because I'm weak in that area.thanks guys and gal

You should keep your young children out of the shop. At least until they have outgrown their nonspill drink cups.
    Work hard play hard

Are you going to use a new tuna fish can or a cat food can?

Like this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOAK4-Kd7QA
    Last edited by Tungsten dipper; 11-18-2018 at 07:22 PM.

currently using a cap from a spray can.

if beer came in sippy cups I'd get some, I spill more then anyone

I've been pondering a good option for such a container and have come up with the following desirable features.

• It needs to be heavy on the bottom so it resists being tipped over and is heavy enough to stay in place more readily. Or at least an easily cleaned magnet on the base needs to be a part of the features. Ideally both heavier on the bottom AND a magnet.
    • It should be able to open up so we can clean out the chips. The oil brush is bound to carry a lot of chips over time into the container.
    • The mouth needs to be a wide funnel like shape so it's easy to park the brush without folding over too many bristles.
    • It should be squat and not too large so it's easy to pick up and move around. I'd say no larger than a small can of tuna or salmon.

Now some "nice to haves"....

The center tube for the brush that extends down into the container should be long enough inside that when we fill it to the point where the oil "cups" the end of this tube that it is just the right amount that when tipped over it won't flow out of the filler. To avoid an air lock I'd say make it slightly longer and add a little short notch for a "breather". Those of you that have topped up the water in lead acid batteries will know just what I'm suggesting here.

I'm thinking that some machines are inherently crowded and would be better with a smaller tip resistant bottle. Others could easily get by with a larger and more bulky option.

Some machines where the oil is used in a fairly consistent manner might do just fine with a mounted bottle of some sort that never moves. Something that is right at hand and does not require reaching over or past spinning parts. For example, how handy might it be to have a 4 oz bottle that mounts either with a small short screw or magnetically on the tail stock side of the apron on a lathe? Or is that too far to dribble oil all over the place? What about the head stock side of the apron? It's right in the spray of chips but a plastic bottle cap with a hole that force fits over the handle of an acid brush would keep the chips out.

I've had all of these thoughts and more as I've been much less than happy with the two quick and dirty options I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I've been pondering a good option for such a container and have come up with the following desirable features.

• It needs to be heavy on the bottom so it resists being tipped over and is heavy enough to stay in place more readily. Or at least an easily cleaned magnet on the base needs to be a part of the features. Ideally both heavier on the bottom AND a magnet.
    • It should be able to open up so we can clean out the chips. The oil brush is bound to carry a lot of chips over time into the container.
    • The mouth needs to be a wide funnel like shape so it's easy to park the brush without folding over too many bristles.
    • It should be squat and not too large so it's easy to pick up and move around. I'd say no larger than a small can of tuna or salmon.

Now some "nice to haves"....

The center tube for the brush that extends down into the container should be long enough inside that when we fill it to the point where the oil "cups" the end of this tube that it is just the right amount that when tipped over it won't flow out of the filler. To avoid an air lock I'd say make it slightly longer and add a little short notch for a "breather". Those of you that have topped up the water in lead acid batteries will know just what I'm suggesting here.

I'm thinking that some machines are inherently crowded and would be better with a smaller tip resistant bottle. Others could easily get by with a larger and more bulky option.

Some machines where the oil is used in a fairly consistent manner might do just fine with a mounted bottle of some sort that never moves. Something that is right at hand and does not require reaching over or past spinning parts. For example, how handy might it be to have a 4 oz bottle that mounts either with a small short screw or magnetically on the tail stock side of the apron on a lathe? Or is that too far to dribble oil all over the place? What about the head stock side of the apron? It's right in the spray of chips but a plastic bottle cap with a hole that force fits over the handle of an acid brush would keep the chips out.

I've had all of these thoughts and more as I've been much less than happy with the two quick and dirty options I've done.
    I like your ideas, now if someone would just draw it up, we all could make one.

Empty 6oz Sterno Chafing cans are my fav. I built 2 of the center tube type, but discovered the Sterno cans
    by chance at a steam tractor show food vendor. Larger center hole and comes with a cap.
    RichD

Quote Originally Posted by livesteam View Post
    Empty 6oz Sterno Chafing cans are my fav. I built 2 of the center tube type, but discovered the Sterno cans
    by chance at a steam tractor show food vendor. Larger center hole and comes with a cap.
    RichD
    The chafing fuel can is a great idea. Sure beats trying to empty a tuna or chicken can--Yuck! I made one out of a large tuna can as in Mr. Pete's video. I just ordered some screw-top chafing fuel cans to try out. I need a couple more cans for the mill and lathe. Having a cap will make it easy to clean out (chips, oil change, etc.).

Aren't chafing cans made out of aluminum?

50 years ago, I put the Flared bottom oil can (no oil in it) in the freezer .
    Melted lead in a small round tin to about 3/8" height and then jammed the oil can down in the liquid lead, which froze and I have a oiler that does not fall over even when full.

Rich

Learned this from my father-inlaw who told me they did this in the 1930'S
    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 11-18-2018 at 10:37 PM.