Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerstner Tool Chests - TOTALLY INSANE!!!

Default Gerstner Tool Chests - TOTALLY INSANE!!!

I paid $75 for this box new in 1972. It was wrapped in heavy gage plastic and in a Gerstner-labeled cardboard box.
    https://gerstnerusa.com/2610-chest

I got one of these for each of my three workers (which they could keep) with the money from some "outside" work we did. They cost about $400 each in 1982.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/u...awn-golden-oak only difference was that they got walnut rather than oak.

I don't think you can even buy the hardware from Gerstner for these amounts anymore if you wanted to make your own. Yeah, I know all about inflation, but this is simply NUTS!

We're in the wrong business guys. Machinists should start building quality wooden tool chests.

I wonder if the drawers fall out like the old ones? They are beautiful.

Remember that we suffered more than 10X inflation from 1972 until now, due to the poor economic practices of our government. Look at the prices then and now for an automobile, a Rolex watch, or any other item. Prices do not look quite so bad when you consider this, but I do agree that the stated price does seem a bit much. The virtually uncontrolled national debt will probably be a factor again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
    Remember that we suffered more than 10X inflation from 1972 until now, due to the poor economic practices of our government. Look at the prices then and now for an automobile, a Rolex watch, or any other item. Prices do not look quite so bad when you consider this, but I do agree that the stated price does seem a bit much. The virtually uncontrolled national debt will probably be a factor again.
    You know something Jim, after I posted the OP I spent some time thinking about the era in which I bought that box. That price was not very much out of line with the quality of the products you'd buy anywhere at that time. The Gerstners I linked to are the SAME quality they have always been ... nothing diluted the way you see in our cars, hand and power tools, furniture, appliances and just about everything else. This is an example of how far we have allowed quality to fall and still think it is acceptable. I don't know why I was shocked at those prices when I posted that the more I think of it. I am just as guilty as anyone else for having been lulled over time, slowly but surely, to think that the (((CRAP))) we buy today is on par with the quality of what was around when I was a kid. One more reason for calling them The Greatest Generation - they didn't fall for, put up with, or accept the bullsh!t we do today.

US inflation since '72 is about 5.75x, 5.75 x 75 = 431 which would seem an reasonable price. At $1900, its stupid imo, the Hermes handbag of shop accoutrements. No matter how much money I had, I'd not buy one at that price because you'd feel like such a putz paying it. Keep in mind the equivalent Gerstner "international" box is $329, imo too large a difference to explain by labour cost differences
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-19-2018 at 09:32 AM.

When you see stuff like this it really makes you appreciate what you have especially when you bought it 10 or 20 years ago. And just think...... back then you probably thought the price was too high.
    I know I have no regrets about anything, tooling, boxes etc. I bought years ago.

JL...........

Very low volume manufacturing is the problem here.How many people will actually want and have use for a Gerstner chest?Let's face it,they are a bling item,nothing more.

You want to see insane prices,look what a Snap-on large roll around chest costs.

https://store.snapon.com/Tool-Storage-C700030.aspx

I saw one go at an auction recently,large bottom cabinet with chest type top and a side extension.I thought the buyer was completely nuts when they paid $12,500 for it empty.Then I looked that particular model up and saw that it retails for $26,000

$26k for a tool chest,I would have to live in it.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Old is not better.

I have a Gerstner so old they have forgotten they made it. The drawers will fall out. BUT THE FRONT COVER HAS A RETAINING SYSTEM.

Yeah, the cover, that could fall off and who cares, is retained, but drawers that might have a half a grand worth of tools in them, can fall out and dump the tools on the concrete floor.

Go figure.

The chest is from the 1920s, probably, the owner worked for Curtiss Wright in St Louis. It had pieces of biplane wire in it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Yeah that's out of control and excuse me but is that a mirror in the lid? nothing like dropping 4 grand on some little tool box just to be called "pretty boy" by the other guys lol I hope that's not really a mirror ------ ?

I really don't mind paying for high quality when I find it, but my spider senses would be firing and my left and right nipples would be twitching out of sync. It wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy like my other tool chests do

Edit: Plus I consider myself a chief cabinet maker when I'm in my wood shop so I'd never buy something like that.
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 11-19-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Work hard play hard