Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerstner Tool Chests - TOTALLY INSANE!!!

Their two different birds - sometimes you can't beat a crisp clean looking rotary engraved part that's black anodized aluminum and there's allot you can do with varying depth and stuff,

Laser also has it's place for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Laser engraving is not only faster, but significantly higher resolution. IMO, an industrial Laser engraving system vs. Joe with his CNC "mill" setup for engraving doesn't have a chance in hell of competing quality wise.
    There are things laser just won't do. You can shout your bias and self inflicted superiority complex from the roof tops, but it doesn't change the facts.

If you spend a sheet load (a crapton atleast) of money on a laser system it can just barely start to begin to follow a mapped 3D organic shape. And golly its still CNC. Your average old in expensive discount CNC router from China has no problem with it at all. Can even reach down into parts way outside of a laser's focal range, and smaller than the optical head.

Resolution, well maybe but only if you understand the limitations and trade offs. And, Joe Garage mechanic, can certainly afford a basic laser system if he wants to. Heck, I have a laser system in my shop. I hardly ever use it because the laser bounces off most of the materials I would use it on unless I gave them special treatments first.

You remind me of those guys who are Evinrude or Harley or Ford fanatics. They all have their place where they shine, but their primary competitors all have other things they do better.

Actually back to your earlier analogy. Its more like comparing Inkjet and Laser printers. There are things an inkjet will handle just fine that will come out smoking or melted from a laser printer. A laser printer will produce waterproof printing and typically do it a little faster.

Not sure why you picked this to pick a snit over, but hopefully you are atleast enjoying yourself.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 11-21-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    There are things laser just won't do. You can shout your bias and self inflicted superiority complex from the roof tops, but it doesn't change the facts.

If you spend a sheet load (a crapton atleast) of money on a laser system it can just barely start to begin to follow a mapped 3D organic shape. And golly its still CNC. Your average old in expensive discount CNC router from China has no problem with it at all. Can even reach down into parts way outside of a laser's focal range, and smaller than the optical head.

Resolution, well maybe but only if you understand the limitations and trade offs. And, Joe Garage mechanic, can certainly afford a basic laser system if he wants to. Heck, I have a laser system in my shop. I hardly ever use it because the laser bounces off most of the materials I would use it on unless I gave them special treatments first.

You remind me of those guys who are Evinrude or Harley or Ford fanatics. They all have their place where they shine, but their primary competitors all have other things they do better.

Actually back to your earlier analogy. Its more like comparing Inkjet and Laser printers. There are things an inkjet will handle just fine that will come out smoking or melted from a laser printer. A laser printer will produce waterproof printing and typically do it a little faster.

Not sure why you picked this to pick a snit over, but hopefully you are atleast enjoying yourself.
    Wow, I tried to let you know that your $5 engravings may not compare with the $30 ones offered and you get all bent out of shape.
    Work hard play hard

I suspect he maybe has looked at the gerstner ones. Pretty sure they are not using a look that may be out of place on a wooden tool box. ..

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    I suspect he maybe has looked at the gerstner ones. Pretty sure they are not using a look that may be out of place on a wooden tool box. ..
    Exactly --- plus don't forget they have a club,,, and most likely even have a sub-club just for the name plates...

im sure they know what their doing (OMG somebody kill me)

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Exactly, I'd expect to see a high quality laser etched name plate. Not a Bubby's hack-o-matic-I-make-em-too-hold-my-beer-and-watch-this.

Work hard play hard

Absolutely - the one on the left looks just fabulous - would definitely go good with the tool box. (again somebody kill me)

Does anyone know if the current HF US General 'Series 2' tool cabinets are as good as the HF US General 'Pro' tool cabinets they used to sell?
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by DATo View Post
    I paid $75 for this box new in 1972. It was wrapped in heavy gage plastic and in a Gerstner-labeled cardboard box.
    https://gerstnerusa.com/2610-chest

I got one of these for each of my three workers (which they could keep) with the money from some "outside" work we did. They cost about $400 each in 1982.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/u...awn-golden-oak only difference was that they got walnut rather than oak.

I don't think you can even buy the hardware from Gerstner for these amounts anymore if you wanted to make your own. Yeah, I know all about inflation, but this is simply NUTS!

We're in the wrong business guys. Machinists should start building quality wooden tool chests.
    I do woodworking and I sure would like to build something like that.

In fifty years will the laser engraving still be readable?