Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taig CNC Mill, round two

Default Taig CNC Mill, round two

Ok, I called Taig this morning and found out some things...

The ball screw taig CNC comes with everything except for a computer for 2995. Another 125 for the USB option for Mach3. So a little over 3k.

The ball screw CR model which doesn't include steppers or motion is 1850.
    300 for the Acorn, 300 for a G540 and 48v power supply, and another 60 for steppers, you are around 2500$. Going with import stepper drivers can further lower that price.

Left out the cost of a computer because that's an afterthought.
    Nick Carter offers 10% discount, for further price savings.

3phase, I am leaning heavily towards the Acorn route

Is this a 2-axis, or 3-axis, and is there support for adding a 4th-axis for a rotary or indexer? The 4th axis is just something nice to have the ability to add later of course.

Also, what kind of features are we talking about? Do either options computer controlled spindle power/control or is that typically done with manual power/speed controls for these guys. Do either options support misc outputs for things like coolant on/off, etc?

Does either/any of the options provide a manual mode (preferably with electronic e-wheels)?

What about "touching off" types of sensors for positional/origin/digitizing/etc. Do any of those systems support adding stuff like that?

I'm not listing requirements, just wondering what's typically available/used on these small CNC systems.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Ok, I called Taig this morning and found out some things...

The ball screw taig CNC comes with everything except for a computer for 2995. Another 125 for the USB option for Mach3. So a little over 3k.

The ball screw CR model which doesn't include steppers or motion is 1850.
    300 for the Acorn, 300 for a G540 and 48v power supply, and another 60 for steppers, you are around 2500$. Going with import stepper drivers can further lower that price.

Left out the cost of a computer because that's an afterthought.
    Nick Carter offers 10% discount, for further price savings.

3phase, I am leaning heavily towards the Acorn route
    Its pretty well documented that USB can have latency times that cause problems. Particular if you use another USB device at the same time. They could be using a number of USB interface devices, but the UC100/UC300 and the Smoothstepper are the most common. The Smoothstepper is better designed to work with Mach 3 and implement all necessary features. It also costs more than $125 so its not likely to be the USB option they are offering. If going that route I'd go with an Ethernet Smoothstepper (which costs even more) as the ethernet connection is very reliable and subject only to actual slow downs or overloading of the computer itself. Ethernet also has built in timing and error checking in the hardware. I have four machines currently running Ethernet Smoothsteppers, and one running a USB Smoothstepper and one running a MESA IO card. I've used straight parallel and it works, but its subject to all kinds of issues. If trying to run straight parallel communications I'd definitely go LinuxCNC over Mach3.

If going with Acorn I have no feedback.

I have had two G540s fail. One was totally my fault for poor setup while I was still learning, but the other was well cooled, protected, and run within spec. Interestingly the one I abused was replaced no questions asked, but the other was refused. It was not the replacement for the first one. I no longer run any G540s, but I have one you can have for shipping. I think it will fit in a small FRB. At one time I was running three of them.

I was told that GeckoDrive has a one time free replacement no questions asked policy, but my experience show that there was no warranty on additional units purchased separately after that. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 11-27-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Is this a 2-axis, or 3-axis, and is there support for adding a 4th-axis for a rotary or indexer? The 4th axis is just something nice to have the ability to add later of course.
    Acorn supports much more than 4. 8? The G540 I think is 4 axis.
    Also, what kind of features are we talking about? Do either options computer controlled spindle power/control or is that typically done with manual power/speed controls for these guys. Do either options support misc outputs for things like coolant on/off, etc?
    Acorn supports ALL that stuff, the taig mill is a simple on/off spindle motor. You could add any motor you want to the Taig with speed control, the ACORN has 0-10vdc analog out for stuff like a VFD for variable speed control.
    Does either/any of the options provide a manual mode (preferably with electronic e-wheels)?

What about "touching off" types of sensors for positional/origin/digitizing/etc. Do any of those systems support adding stuff like that?
    Acorn supports all of that, even wireless pendent controls, or if an Xbox360 controller floats your boat
    I'm not listing requirements, just wondering what's typically available/used on these small CNC systems.
    ACORN is Centroids move into the hobby world, they make commercial controllers for the big boys, so you have all these options. Linux CNC also gives you all these options, so does Kflop, and all the others. Watching videos on Youtube, I like what the ACORN offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Its pretty well documented that USB can have latency times that cause problems. Particular if you use another USB device at the same time. They could be using a number of USB interface devices, but the UC100/UC300 and the Smoothstepper are the most common. The Smoothstepper is better designed to work with Mach 3 and implement all necessary features. It also costs more than $125 so its not likely to be the USB option they are offering. If going that route I'd go with an Ethernet Smoothstepper (which costs even more) as the ethernet connection is very reliable and subject only to actual slow downs or overloading of the computer itself. Ethernet also has built in timing and error checking in the hardware. I have four machines currently running Ethernet Smoothsteppers, and one running a USB Smoothstepper and one running a MESA IO card. I've used straight parallel and it works, but its subject to all kinds of issues. If trying to run straight parallel communications I'd definitely go LinuxCNC over Mach3.

If going with Acorn I have no feedback.

I have had two G540s fail. One was totally my fault for poor setup while I was still learning, but the other was well cooled, protected, and run within spec. Interestingly the one I abused was replaced no questions asked, but the other was refused. It was not the replacement for the first one. I no longer run any G540s, but I have one you can have for shipping. I think it will fit in a small FRB. At one time I was running three of them.
    I most certainly will take you up on your offer for that G540! Thank you! The Acorn is ethernet, not usb.

Sounds like Acorn is what I'd like too.
    Work hard play hard

Sounds like Acorn is what I'd like too.
    make sure you look at what it cost with all the extra 'stuff'

sam

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post

sam
    Cost is not an issue but I would like to have the flexibility there to add stuff.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post

sam
    Yes, the free edition of the mill software has a limit to G code size, not sure what it is. 140$ unlocks it to pro. Digitizing is another 399$, but don't have any current desires for that.

A cool video on ball screw mapping...