Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Column vs Dovetail for new mill

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    29,672

    Default

    Easily twice size of either of mine. Looks reasonably large, as big as a Rockwell, I think.
    1601

    Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Dovetail is best
    I have column mill it would move on heavy cuts. I installed a hex bar to stop movement

    Dave
    Could you show pics of the Hex Bar system on your Mill.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    san jose, ca. usa
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Could you show pics of the Hex Bar system on your Mill.
    I'd like to see that too.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland, Europe
    Posts
    2,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    That mill of danlb's is the smallest knee mill I have ever seen, and without the stack of wood under it that Three Phase Lightbulb noticed, almost a bench size. If it were mine, there would be at least a foot of packing to save my back.
    Dan's monster mill would easily fit my Aciera F1 on the mill table
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/aciera/

    It has dovetail and it has knee... but I'm seriously considering replacing it with round column dill-mrill

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Dan's monster mill would easily fit my Aciera F1 on the mill table
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/aciera/

    It has dovetail and it has knee... but I'm seriously considering replacing it with round column dill-mrill
    When you get your dill-mrill let me know,I would be curious what shipping would be from Helsinki to Edmonton Alberta for that nice machine of yours.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kelowna BC
    Posts
    1,606

    Default

    Jeez the CNC control is bigger than the mill..

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5

    Default

    So the mill on TradeMe was a tale of woe; eventually I was out bed by a few hundred over my budget...... I decided I would go for the HM-46....

    But then.... the next day; I had a text from the seller saying that the winner had changed his mind and rather than put it back up for auction; would I like it for the original amount.

    Obviously I jumped at the chance

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clovis CA USA
    Posts
    349

    Default

    I can email a photo
    This site does not let any one post photos

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Could you show pics of the Hex Bar system on your Mill.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave022 View Post
    So the mill on TradeMe was a tale of woe; eventually I was out bed by a few hundred over my budget...... I decided I would go for the HM-46....

    But then.... the next day; I had a text from the seller saying that the winner had changed his mind and rather than put it back up for auction; would I like it for the original amount.

    Obviously I jumped at the chance
    SO you are getting that Honden? WHOOPEE ! ! ! !

    Even if it does need a few little things to get it up to snuff it's a mill which you'll never outgrow unless you take on rebuilding farm equipment as a hobby....

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SF East Bay.
    Posts
    6,066

    Default

    Congrats! Now the fun starts!


    Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •