Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Atlas Shaper Gib Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside View Post

It sure fun to follow someone that thinks a 3 pound single jack is a precision fitting and/or repair tool.
    ???????????? Which wall did that come from?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

J Tiers

It was a simple remark about following some meathead that has beat the crap out of a machine while"fixing" it. I have repaired a large number of crawler tractors, back hoe's, large trucks. as well s an assortment of machine tools. Sometimes the person who fixed it just made the task a real pain.

The Shaper Gib that started this blog sure looks like a "hammer mechanic" had tried a repair. In no way was it meant to apply to any person on this board.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Stepside View Post

The Shaper Gib that started this blog sure looks like a "hammer mechanic" had tried a repair. In no way was it meant to apply to any person on this board.

Pete
    OK, Sorry I did not "get it"... I thought it was aimed at the OP, but you actually meant the owner before him... And I think you are being charitable... whoever it was sounds totally clueless about machinery, he makes the typical "bubba" look like a genius..

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I figure I owe you guys a followup from all the excellent advice I received.
    I started by making special screws for the work. The larger screw is so that I can bolt the upper dovetail assembly to the fixturing through existing 3/8 threaded holes, and the other fits the gib screw holes and will guide the drill bit when cutting the gib screw holes.

I bolted the upper dovetail assembly directly to the mill table and checked it for vertical alignment. Vertical was within .0015, but it would not align squarely in the plane of the table. This does not matter. I put dowel pins behind the gib, and used machinist clamps and a cobbled machinist's jack to hold the gib.

I turned the gib over and set it on a couple of shims. Something went awry and the gib turned out to be about .020 narrow. I had plenty of stock, so for the second one, I set it on a parallel. It came out within .001 of the original gib. Here you can see the dowel pin peeking out from under the machinist's clamp.

For the gib screw pockets, I mounted the upper dovetail on an angle plate. I got it parallel to the table, clamped the narrow gib in for practice, and it shifted during drilling.
    When I fixtured the good gib, I added some clamps to keep it up tight in the dovetail.

I hit the picture limit, so more to come.

On the holes that were in the proper position on the "practice" gib, there was still some difficulty getting the gib over the screws. I figured I'd take some of the tolerance out by allowing a little clearance on the top of the gib, so I added some .010 shims above the gib before drilling the pockets. It's just below the red arrow.

For drilling the pockets with a flat bottom, I ground a 5/32 bit flat on the face and ground some clearance behind the cutting edge. I drilled through the bushings shown earlier and it went well this time. I don't know if it's clear from the picture, but one of the gib screws was very crooked from the factory. In any event the new gib is complete and the assembly works very smoothly. Thanks for all the advice. Now on to the next subassembly.

Nice work! I especially like the use of the bushing screws to support the modified drill bit. And good call on the shim.

Yes indeed. you don't want to have it hanging up on something.

I admit I probably would have done it quick and dirty, but there is no harm in being careful and accurate about it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I think for me machining of this sort is more about the journey than the destination...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels17 View Post
    I think for me machining of this sort is more about the journey than the destination...
    For those of us doing this as a hobby the journey is what it's all about.

I guess I classify fixing MY machines somewhere in the category of getting gas, changing oil, and checking tires before the journey.....

I prefer fixing other people's machines.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan