Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: A complaint about way-too-long threads...

Quote Originally Posted by gmax137 View Post
    please let well enough alone. i read the entire shop made tools thread when i first found HSM. i read it once a week now. i dont mind paging back a few pages to get my bearings. i think the problems some have expressed are just overblown.
    I like the SMT thread also but what I really don't like are the multiple replies that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post or machining of any sort and evolve into a thread of their own. They add nothing to the thread and are quite honestly just SPAM.

JT's getting a little overwrought about it, but in the end, he's still right.

Yes, there's ways that regulars, who have been reading that thread for five years or more, can keep on top of it, but my point is that few or no NEW readers are going to bother with it. And as I keep pointing out, we're already losing a nontrivial percentage of potential readers- and likely more than a few previous readers- to machining Facebook groups.

And I will guarantee you that part of that reason is new readers find this place, come in, see nobody's posting anything about actual machining, and will bail for more interesting pastures.

In order to make it friendlier to new readers, and more convenient for existing readers, I'm simply suggesting posting your projects out here in the main forum, instead of jumbled in with a hundred others in the SMT thread.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    I like the SMT thread also but what I really don't like are the multiple replies that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post or machining of any sort and evolve into a thread of their own. They add nothing to the thread and are quite honestly just SPAM.
    I was surprised how much native Hawaiians love spam. They have it in sushi style at all their 7/11's, and it is quite good. Been over a year since I have had a Hono over night. Those trips go pretty senior at my company.

I'm pretty new and I have no problem with long threads. I use the search function often.

My problem with the forum is the image limit and it has put me off posting project threads more than once. Some argue it has got merits even in 2018 soon to be 2019, but in the end the hassle puts me off it so there's a merit for you...

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
    I'm pretty new and I have no problem with long threads. I use the search function often.

My problem with the forum is the image limit and it has put me off posting project threads more than once. Some argue it has got merits even in 2018 soon to be 2019, but in the end the hassle puts me off it so there's a merit for you...
    Chaski is the absolute worst about image sizes, probably killed off a lot of potential users, and I say this being one of the mods over there.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I was surprised how much native Hawaiians love spam. They have it in sushi style at all their 7/11's, and it is quite good. Been over a year since I have had a Hono over night. Those trips go pretty senior at my company.
    Thanks for illustrating my point about replies that have absolutely nothing to do with the original post.

I agree that the Shop Made Tools thread is unwieldy, and I rarely look at it. Yes, anyone who has a major contribution should make a separate thread, and hopefully people will make appropriate and helpful comments, rather than quoting all the content of a post simply to say something like "Wow!". That is my pet peeve.

If someone really wants to document a project, especially if it contains lots of images and video clips, I suggest that you make a video and post it on YouTube. It gives you complete control of the content and also allows for discussion. Or, you can make a Word document with images and text, convert it to PDF, and put it on a server (such as Wikimedia), which makes it convenient for people to download and print, and assures that the content will be available "forever", or as long as the internet exists in a reasonable form in the future.

I like the "What did you do today" superthread, but I see it just as a running chit-chat of things that might be of general interest for most of us here. I see no need to wade through it or search for content, unless I'm bored and have nothing much else to do. "What did you machine" seems appropriate for simple and unique projects that are interesting, but if it takes more than a couple posts I think it deserves its own thread.

I usually add the five allowed keywords which help when searching for content. Something else that is important is correct spelling. I happen to be pretty good at spelling, but I do like having spell-check, and when I disagree with it, I do a quick on-line check, and add words to the dictionary as needed. Not that hard, and if it's worth writing about something in a public forum, it's worth taking care to do it properly.

OK, </rant>

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I like the "What did you do today" superthread, but I see it just as a running chit-chat
    Most every thread soon becomes a running chit-chat; some starting with the second post. That's the sole purpose of several of the most prolific posters.
    It's a free world; everyone can post as they please, but it adds to the difficulty of finding an occasional grain of wheat amongst all the chaff.

It's been at least a year or so since I last opened that S.M.T. thread; and those "What did you..." threads sound too gossipy for my taste. So I agree, all three go beyond useless, to the point of counter productive, from my prospective.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nickel View Post
    JT's getting a little overwrought about it,......
    Clearly not..... all words type the same, no more effort needed for strong words than for soft.

I use words for their meaning and effect, independent of my state of mind.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nickel View Post
    JT's getting a little overwrought about it, but in the end, he's still right.

Yes, there's ways that regulars, who have been reading that thread for five years or more, can keep on top of it, but my point is that few or no NEW readers are going to bother with it. And as I keep pointing out, we're already losing a nontrivial percentage of potential readers- and likely more than a few previous readers- to machining Facebook groups.

And I will guarantee you that part of that reason is new readers find this place, come in, see nobody's posting anything about actual machining, and will bail for more interesting pastures.

In order to make it friendlier to new readers, and more convenient for existing readers, I'm simply suggesting posting your projects out here in the main forum, instead of jumbled in with a hundred others in the SMT thread.

Doc.
    You must not be reading your own thread here either. There have been several who have posted in this thread that they found this forum by finding the SMT thread and that they have read the whole thread.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC