Thread: OT, But Related: Convert Excel Spreadsheet to A Cell Phone App

Default OT, But Related: Convert Excel Spreadsheet to A Cell Phone App

I have created a machining related spreadsheet. It has a lot of formulae in it and needs to have a bunch of numbers (12 to 50) as input in order to function. No web access is needed. I can save it as a web page for use on laptops and desktops, but I would like to convert it to Apps for use on the various brands of cell phones. Oh, and the screen that I have created would probably need to be scrolled up-down and left-right in use. It is probably too big to fit on a cell phone screen, all at one time.

Does anyone know of a program that does this? Freeware would be best, but I am willing to pay a reasonable amount if it works well and covers at least three different brands/types of cell phones. I am not interested in programs that only work for conversion to one type of cell phone. There are too many Apps out there that are only available for one type of phone. I hate that.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Google (spread)sheets.

Very simple. Use Xcode to build the iPhone/iPad/Apple watch version, and Android Studio for targeting most Android devices.
    Work hard play hard

Use Excel. Microsoft has a free (lobotomized) version that can be run on most Apple, Windows and Android phones.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I (blackberry) have "office2go" or some such thing, which will handle office-suite docs.

If you want to actually make an App, that's a whole 'nother thing. You could be better served by farming out the coding in return for % of sales.

Why not just use Excel?

If the phone has a browser, you can use HTML and JavaScript to make an app that can work from a website or a local file. Like this:

http://www.enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm

Where do I go for more on this idea? Should I look for lessons on JavaScript?

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    If the phone has a browser, you can use HTML and JavaScript to make an app that can work from a website or a local file. Like this:

http://www.enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Visual Studio can create apps for Android, iphone, and Windows Phone from the same code base. It also does HTML, JavaScript, C, C++, C#.....

p.s. The community version is free.

Paul A., you can save and view/edit the source code for the EVcalculator to get an idea how it's done. JavaScript is fairly similar to C so if you know that, it is relatively simple. I used HTML directly from a word processor (Notepad++) so that is also fairly simple. There are many references and tutorials for JS and HTML. I built the app from another, simpler one, that I had built from scratch, and which took quite a while as I was learning. It's a good skill to have.