Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A More Ambitious, Awsomer 2 x 72" Belt Grinder

Default A More Ambitious, Awsomer 2 x 72" Belt Grinder

I'd been intending to introduce this belt grinder build for a couple of days now.
    Michigan Doug already started a grinder thread, but I thought it best to keep this as a separate thread because I think they're orders of magnitude different.

This one is hands down the most elaborate and sophisticated such project I've come across in You Tube land. The builder, Jeremy Schmidt, a young guy who could pass for a teenager, but is probably older, spent two years or so on the design. It's truly "industrial strength."
    It's amazing to see what he did with just a H/V saw and a mig welder.
    Here's the link to the main build video (about 35 minutes). There are other videos showing additional attachments and add-on features, that con be found from his home page.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_RlL1O-bK4

talented young man. great ideas.

superb bit of engineering! one of, if not the best I have seen!
    Phil,UK

He's made a career out of that sander. There's been numerous mods and additions to it. He even had to build a special table for it because of the tilting motor.

You can buy the plans here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/5357285...-grinder-plans

What am I missing? Looks like a well made belt sander that sands.. not seeing why it would be better than any other (simpler) well made sander.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    What am I missing? Looks like a well made belt sander that sands.. not seeing why it would be better than any other (simpler) well made sander.
    Well, you're right, in the final analysis they all simply involve moving an abrasive belt quickly against the work piece, thereby removing material. But a similar comparison could be made between a Rolls Royce and a Yugo ...both will go from one place to another.

Did you view any of the other videos showing additional features, and the tilting function? (I've watched all of them, so I don't recall just how much is covered in that initial build video.)

The beauty of the design is in the adaptability. It permits interchanging several other attachments (tables, wheels, jigs, etc.) all maintaining the same relative positioning.

One thing that amazed me was the precision that he maintained in welding all those little pieces into functional sub-assemblies that fit together right. ...maybe that's a trivial matter for some, but it impresses the hell outta me.
    Last edited by lynnl; 12-04-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    One thing that amazed me was the precision that he maintained in welding all those little pieces into functional sub-assemblies that fit together right. ...maybe that's a trivial matter for some, but it impresses the hell outta me.
    Well he is a woodworker, so you wouldn't expect him to work to the sloppy tolerances that some machinists think is appropriate for fabrication, let alone woodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Well he is a woodworker, so you wouldn't expect him to work to the sloppy tolerances that some machinists think is appropriate for fabrication, let alone woodwork.
    I'm not sure if you're simply being facetious, or if I'm missing your point. I don't think he's a complete stranger to machinist work; he has a small lathe, but no milling machine.

Nevertheless I am impressed by the accuracy and precision (not necessarily to tenths, or even thousandths) that he could maintain hand shaping and welding. Not that I would've considered it un-doable ...lots of people do extremely precise work with a file and a piece of metal. It just takes time and dedication to excellence.

And for all I know, maybe there are dozens of better "home made" belt grinders out there. But this one impressed me most, of those I've seen.

Also, I just like his video style. Good photography, very articulate, well spoken, right to the point, NO MUSIC, etc. (yes, so called shouting intentional)

[QUOTE=lynnl;1208479]I'm not sure if you're simply being facetious, or if I'm missing your point.

/QUOTE]

Yes, I was being facetious. But not entirely.
    Last edited by cameron; 12-04-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Have any of you guys bought the plans for this belt sander? I'm temped, if nothing else but to help reward him for the great job he done. I have been thinking about building a 2X72 sander and utilizing treadmill motor. I see no reason a treadmill motor wouldn't work on this one with a little modification. This kid put a lot of thought and effort into his sander/grinder.