Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dynapath/Hurco CNC 14x40 Lathe

I understand now the pic was sent along, it was cool, so he posted it.
    Regarding what you wrote though, makes me wonder a bit..
    In manual work , why would you not consider speeds ? I mean it is usually and almost automatically a first consideration.
    I can see where CNC would help with complex curves or blending, but..
    Was the whole point creating a Gatling Gun with a modern twist ?
    Or seeing if you could replicate what the guys had done long ago.. more a faithful reproduction..

Yes, i am picture posting challenged too..

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    I understand now the pic was sent along, it was cool, so he posted it.
    Regarding what you wrote though, makes me wonder a bit..
    In manual work , why would you not consider speeds ? I mean it is usually and almost automatically a first consideration.
    I can see where CNC would help with complex curves or blending, but..
    Was the whole point creating a Gatling Gun with a modern twist ?
    Or seeing if you could replicate what the guys had done long ago.. more a faithful reproduction..

Yes, i am picture posting challenged too..
    The gun is a replica of the 1874 model. Long story but.... many years ago I got my first mill. A good friend said I needed a project for that new mill. He suggested gatling gun.... He had ordered the drawings for that one, being fooled by the claim that "all that is needed is basic machining skills, a lathe and a mill". Well... he looked the drawings over, put them away and there they sat for maybe 15 years. Gat guns have a lot of complicated machining and probably half requires +- .001 tolerances. So..... I drank the kool aid too, brought the drawings home, started on some of the easier parts and went down a long learning curve for the rest.

As for manual vs cnc, one of the biggest differences with regard to speeds/feeds is that there is no "feel" on a cnc machine. On the manual machine if things don't feel right or sound right you adjust for it, on the CNC its OVER by the time you realize you screwed up. Miss a decimal and things get extremely exciting. Decent example was the bolts in the 357 gun, had to drill 5/16 holes in the bolts 6 in deep and into 4140 prehard. That drilling was easy, a peck drilling cycle is made for the job. On the manual machine its near impossible not to dwell a bit at the bottom of a hole and if the material easily work hardens you are in big trouble. The cnc drills to the exact depth and reverses instantly, no dwell at all unless you specify one.

Back to the gun.... its totally useless, not something to hunt with, NG for target shooting, big and heavy, serves no practical purpose. Building one forces you to do machining that you have never done before, a big challenge for many parts. It has expanded my machining skills a LOT, that is the real benefit of building them. I also got pretty proficient with Fusion 360 cad/cam along the way. Modeling something like that gun in cad/cam shows up most of the problem areas before you start cutting. If a clearance is going to end up too close on a assembly you see that and can adjust. It also makes it a LOT easier to visualize what things will look like compared to conventional drawings.

Sparky, do you use the manual mode with the E-wheels on yours a lot?
    Work hard play hard

expired
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; Yesterday at 02:21 AM.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Sparky, do you use the manual mode with the E-wheels on yours a lot?
    Constantly. Only recently for actually cutting metal in manual mode. I have a jet 13x40 manual lathe that I use a lot for simple things and never think to use the bigger cnc. Of course the bigger cnc is FAR more rigid as well as having 10 inch chucks for holding larger pieces. Easy to forget it can be used just as well as a manual lathe in manual mode. Constantly for touching off in the Z and setting the tool diameter offset roughly with a ,001 shim stock. (when setting up a new tool in a holder first time)

The mpg wheels have 4 selectable steps .1 down to .00001 increments I usually stay at .001 steps, good enough for nearly all my needs.

Also, does anyone know if Hurco actually made any 14x40 flat bed lathes? It seems they are all turning centers or enclosed. I'm trying to find more info on the Hurco 14x40 lathe itself.

Only a guess but I think the one on craigslist was a taiwan machine Hurco purchased and then converted in house to cnc then marketing it as theirs. There are a few companies out there that market similar cnc lathes, they all look like the common import lathes retrofitted. My cnc lathe is taiwan with a US distributor and the factory bought dynapath OEM control systems to install, 1996 vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Only a guess but I think the one on craigslist was a taiwan machine Hurco purchased and then converted in house to cnc then marketing it as theirs. There are a few companies out there that market similar cnc lathes, they all look like the common import lathes retrofitted. My cnc lathe is taiwan with a US distributor and the factory bought dynapath OEM control systems to install, 1996 vintage.
    I'm just wondering where I would look to get replacement parts for something like this. I wonder if Hurco would sell them, or if Dynapath would, etc.
    Work hard play hard

I'm just wondering where I would look to get replacement parts for something like this. I wonder if Hurco would sell them, or if Dynapath would, etc.
    Give Dynapath support a call. The support is excellent, I called them a few times when I first got my lathe with questions. You will find them very responsive to your inquiries. Most of the tech support guys have been there many many years and really know the products, NOT like some of the so called tech support we find these days.

I'm surprised you haven't gone and bought it yet. Your reputation for buying toys is unequaled.

expired
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; Yesterday at 02:22 AM.
    Work hard play hard

I'll be meeting the seller this weekend and checking out the machine as best as I can.
    Phew.... was worried for a bit there that you were slowing down buying stuff.

Verify if he has the disks (probably 2) and the manual. Both are available but expensive.