Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: O/T, very, very O/T, Help from TrumpLand?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sunny So Cal
    Posts
    4,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohart View Post
    a woman cooked some brownies, sweetening with Xylitol. Dog ate one, dog is ex. Dog was big, too.
    Chocolate can be fatal to dogs. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    High, Wide and Handsome, Montana
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    A dog has to eat a fair bit of chocolate per size for it to be fatal. A small bit of Xylitol can kill.

    I had a 90 lb dog that got her front feet on the counter and lapped up half of a 9x13 Pyrex of brownies.. as far as her tongue could get. She wasn't happy that night and had projectile turds, but went on to live to a ripe old age unaffected.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Posts
    11,371

    Default

    I remember cinnamon toothpicks. And sen-sen.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    A dog has to eat a fair bit of chocolate per size for it to be fatal. A small bit of Xylitol can kill.

    I had a 90 lb dog that got her front feet on the counter and lapped up half of a 9x13 Pyrex of brownies.. as far as her tongue could get. She wasn't happy that night and had projectile turds, but went on to live to a ripe old age unaffected.
    yes takes allot of chocolate to kill a dog and a very little will not hurt them - im talking very little and in fact iv given all my dogs a small taste of it like one M&M's worth or whatever,

    I did not ever hear about xylitol though so thanks allot for that - i will be on high alert with it.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,871

    Default

    Snuff?
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

    THINK HARDER

    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

    MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    USA MD 21030
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    I looked up Xylitol, and apparently it takes a fair amount to be toxic to dogs:
    In dogs, xylitol (in amounts greater than 100 mg per kilogram of body weight) generates a rapid, dose-dependent insulin release that can result in hypoglycemia, which can be life-threatening.[23][24] Low blood sugar can result in a loss of coordination, depression, collapse, and seizures in dogs as quickly as 30 minutes following ingestion.[25] Intake of doses of xylitol greater than 500 to 1000 mg per kilogram body weight has been implicated in potentially fatal liver failure in dogs.[26]
    Xylitol is used in comparatively much smaller doses, in the ingredients of two commercial veterinary drinking water additives, marketed to prevent plaque and freshen the breath of pets.[27][28]

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,984

    Default

    My son and I used to make lots of rocket engines with Sorbitol+KNO3. I used to make them when I was a kid but I used regular sugar and salt pewter from the garden center which IIRC was only like ~80% KNO3. .I couldn't believe how much better the engines my son and I made were compared to the ones I used to make. The biggest uncertainty we had was making consistent nozzles out of water puddy. EDIT: I should have tried turning some nozzles out of alum but my shop wasn't setup.
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Work hard play hard

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    6,984

    Default

    Cool beans!

    Work hard play hard

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    High, Wide and Handsome, Montana
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I looked up Xylitol, and apparently it takes a fair amount to be toxic to dogs:
    There can be 300 to 1500 mg in one stick of gum.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Tai Tokerau - NZ
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Well this has certainly gone unexpected directions

    I don't keep white sugar, just "raw" which is what you guys might call coffee crystals. Far less processed, the body can handle it a bit better.

    Damn shame they've take what sugar there was and filled it with that artificial crap. Anyway, if I can find it (that should be easier now that I know what it's called!) I will have to try some and see if it lives up to the memory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •