Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T, very, very O/T, Help from TrumpLand?

Quote Originally Posted by rohart View Post
    a woman cooked some brownies, sweetening with Xylitol. Dog ate one, dog is ex. Dog was big, too.
    Chocolate can be fatal to dogs. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

A dog has to eat a fair bit of chocolate per size for it to be fatal. A small bit of Xylitol can kill.

I had a 90 lb dog that got her front feet on the counter and lapped up half of a 9x13 Pyrex of brownies.. as far as her tongue could get. She wasn't happy that night and had projectile turds, but went on to live to a ripe old age unaffected.

I remember cinnamon toothpicks. And sen-sen.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    A dog has to eat a fair bit of chocolate per size for it to be fatal. A small bit of Xylitol can kill.

I had a 90 lb dog that got her front feet on the counter and lapped up half of a 9x13 Pyrex of brownies.. as far as her tongue could get. She wasn't happy that night and had projectile turds, but went on to live to a ripe old age unaffected.
    yes takes allot of chocolate to kill a dog and a very little will not hurt them - im talking very little and in fact iv given all my dogs a small taste of it like one M&M's worth or whatever,

I did not ever hear about xylitol though so thanks allot for that - i will be on high alert with it.

Snuff?
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

I looked up Xylitol, and apparently it takes a fair amount to be toxic to dogs:
    In dogs, xylitol (in amounts greater than 100 mg per kilogram of body weight) generates a rapid, dose-dependent insulin release that can result in hypoglycemia, which can be life-threatening.[23][24] Low blood sugar can result in a loss of coordination, depression, collapse, and seizures in dogs as quickly as 30 minutes following ingestion.[25] Intake of doses of xylitol greater than 500 to 1000 mg per kilogram body weight has been implicated in potentially fatal liver failure in dogs.[26]
    Xylitol is used in comparatively much smaller doses, in the ingredients of two commercial veterinary drinking water additives, marketed to prevent plaque and freshen the breath of pets.[27][28]

My son and I used to make lots of rocket engines with Sorbitol+KNO3. I used to make them when I was a kid but I used regular sugar and salt pewter from the garden center which IIRC was only like ~80% KNO3. .I couldn't believe how much better the engines my son and I made were compared to the ones I used to make. The biggest uncertainty we had was making consistent nozzles out of water puddy. EDIT: I should have tried turning some nozzles out of alum but my shop wasn't setup.
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 12-06-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Work hard play hard

Cool beans!

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    I looked up Xylitol, and apparently it takes a fair amount to be toxic to dogs:
    There can be 300 to 1500 mg in one stick of gum.

Well this has certainly gone unexpected directions

I don't keep white sugar, just "raw" which is what you guys might call coffee crystals. Far less processed, the body can handle it a bit better.

Damn shame they've take what sugar there was and filled it with that artificial crap. Anyway, if I can find it (that should be easier now that I know what it's called!) I will have to try some and see if it lives up to the memory.