Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT- Bolting a small pipe in a bigger pipe

Default OT- Bolting a small pipe in a bigger pipe

I'm having a mental block here, seems this should be simple but it's just passing my by. I have an unused satellite mount on my roof, a 3 legged one that is fastened well. It has an ID of 2-1/16". I want to install a mast for an OTA antenna, and use a smaller pipe. But I'm missing how to get this smaller pipe, probably no bigger than 1-1/2" maybe 1", bolted inside this bigger pipe.

Hows about you machine a couple of filler rings?

Then you can bolt through or otherwise fasten.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by rws View Post
    I'm having a mental block here, seems this should be simple but it's just passing my by. I have an unused satellite mount on my roof, a 3 legged one that is fastened well. It has an ID of 2-1/16". I want to install a mast for an OTA antenna, and use a smaller pipe. But I'm missing how to get this smaller pipe, probably no bigger than 1-1/2" maybe 1", bolted inside this bigger pipe.
    Is the bigger pipe long enough to provide support for your pipe if you just attach your pipe to the side of the big pipe with maybe 2 or 4 stainless hose clamps?
    Work hard play hard

Drop the small pipe inside the larger pipe and fill the void with latex cement ( Available at Home Depot or Lowes )
    You can adjust the pipes to your desire and when the cement sets, it will be permanent..and weather proof...no fuss

Rich

Two way I can think of are 1) put a bolt through the smaller pipe. Tack weld the head to the pipe. Allow just enough bolt to extend through it to pass through the wall of the larger pipe and enough for a nut. 2) clamp it to the outside of the big pipe. If all you mounting is a small OTA antenna I wouldn't worry about much.

JL...............

Yes the big pipe is plenty long enough to support the smaller pipe. I thought about turning a filler ring or two. possibility. Getting welding leads up there would be a major job. I'm liking the infill part.

You could also drill and tap a few holes on one side of the larger pipe. Slide your smaller pipe into the larger pipe, and tighten the bolts on the side of the large pipe to pinch the small pipe inside. You can also easily remove it later if needed.

Work hard play hard

Default A better option.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    You could also drill and tap a few holes on one side of the larger pipe. Slide your smaller pipe into the larger pipe, and tighten the bolts on the side of the large pipe to pinch the small pipe inside. You can also easily remove it later if needed.

If using set screws on round items the most secure method is to have them at 90 degrees to each other, then they will have a much stronger hold .Just add two more to the drawing above, Regards David Powell.

Or just move the middle one to 90, but for a OTA antenna rectal plugs can be removed without concern.
    Work hard play hard

Set screws at 90 to each other, one pair near the top, one pair near the bottom. Done this a few times. This is a set it and forget it type of thing. If you'd be needing to make small adjustments to the rotation of the mast, you'd want to start with light pressure on the screws. Once you dimple the mast it will be hard to make a small rotation after that, and have it stay.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-